Power Outage During Sample Conditioning - What Alternatives are Available?

S

SESPOLY

We are fast approaching our initial assessment to ISO 17025. We have one question we can't seem to find an answer to. Suppose we are conditioning samples in an oven or a temperature and humidity controlled environmental room and there is a loss of power. What happens to the samples being conditioned? Do we extend the time to cover the time the power was out? To we need to restart the test? Some tests are long term conditioning, such as 1000 hours. If there was an outage near the end of the test, what do we do? We don't want to restart the test. I can't seem to find any guidance on this subject, in any ASTM procedures or otherwise. I know we can come up with our own internal procedure if this happens based on common sense, but was wondering if there is any more technical guidance to help us.
Does anyone have any experience with this or can someone point us to a technical document?
Thanks for any help.
Craig B.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Loss of Power During Sample Conditioning

We are fast approaching our initial assessment to ISO 17025. We have one question we can't seem to find an answer to. Suppose we are conditioning samples in an oven or a temperature and humidity controlled environmental room and there is a loss of power. What happens to the samples being conditioned? Do we extend the time to cover the time the power was out? To we need to restart the test? Some tests are long term conditioning, such as 1000 hours. If there was an outage near the end of the test, what do we do? We don't want to restart the test. I can't seem to find any guidance on this subject, in any ASTM procedures or otherwise. I know we can come up with our own internal procedure if this happens based on common sense, but was wondering if there is any more technical guidance to help us.
Does anyone have any experience with this or can someone point us to a technical document?
Thanks for any help.
Craig B.

I am not a testing lab expert.

However, I did a Google search for you on:

"Contingency plan for a power outage in a testing laboratory."

Is there any information that would be applicable to your situation?

Stijloor.

Top Bottom