Repeat Visits By Same External Auditor for the Last 10 Years

J

Jamie.M

Hi

This is my first post here as I am struggling to find some information.

We've had our ISO9001 for approx 10 years and had pretty much the same auditor from an assessment company complete our external audit every time.

Now I've heard that you should only have someone for 3 years before they should be changed out for someone else? Is there any truth in this and if so where can I find the supporting evidence?

It does seem common sense that you wouldn't want the same person for that long as they would become too familiar!

Thanks in advance

Jamie

In my experience having different auditors for every audit carried out will be extremely useful. But in actual it happens that the same auditor visits your organization audit after audit. Within a few audits such auditors become in-effective and the organization does not get the added value that it looks forward in a third party audit. Another issue is "familiarity"; familiarity can interfere with the "objectivity" of the audit at times. I would, therefore, prefer new set of auditors (if that involves no excess cost) for each audit. It is also fine if an auditor visits your organization after every three/four audits.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I think the 3 years rule originate from the automotive world. I am also for a pair of fresh eyes and different angles of looking at things - they can see things which we missed. However, there are people with who are happy with status quo.

Last edited:

rob73

looking for answers
We have had the same external auditor for eight years running! Like you I feel that this is not right and we do not get the objectivity needed for a productive audit. That said the auditor in question has now retired and our next audit is a full system audit, so it will be interesting to see how a new auditor views our system.
Rob

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I used to do internal audits for a number of companies, but a few years back I 'quit' each of them. I found myself coming in and knowing how everything worked to the point where I was becoming what I considered to be ineffective. At one point, back in the 1990's especially, and a bit into the 2000's, I was a strong proponent of keeping the same auditor when possible because of different interpretations of the standard each had with some respects of how a company does business and how their systems work and interact. And I felt that with new auditors too much audit time was taken up showing and explaining how everything worked and fit together.

So - There are pros and cons to having the same auditor every time. These days though, I recommend different auditors at least every year or two. Fresh eyes and a break from a 'routine'.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I perform many internal audits for my Clients, but after 3 years, I recommend another (competent) auditor for my Client. A fresh pair of eyes and ears is needed periodically.

Stijloor.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
There is a requirement to rotate auditors for ISO/TS 16949, I do not think this requirement is in existence for ISO 9001.
You can ask for a new auditor from your CB for the reasons stated above, with no bad feelings

A

AndyR

I assume that the external auditor is from an accredited certification body and as such is looking for ongoing compliance with ISO 9001. If that is the case then he/she is not there to consult or offer business solutions but to find compliance with the standard and continue your certification. The role of your own quality manager and internal auditor is to seek out opportunities to improve the way your business is managed, instigate improvement initiatives and drive the "continuous improvement" loop.

Z

Zubin

I am also inthe same situation- the same auditors visiting since long time. He knows each and every person and every one is so comfortable with this guy. Further, all departments know what they can expect from him and how exactly he is going to look at the process. This time, we got a change and had a new person. He took time in understanding the process and had the audits in a different angle.

The same will be the case with Internal Auditors, who often go to the same department for audit.

I am not sure, if there is any mandate that the auditors shall be changes in avery 3 years. I could not find this mentioned anywhere..

Personally I feel the same auditor visiting and auditing an organisation continously, will render the system ineffective in its long run..

Thanks

Zubin

Top Bottom