ISO 9001 Gap Analysis help wanted

K

KCIPOH

Hello Cove members,

Is there anyone from the cove members can guide me on how to perform a gap analysis (for instant, gap analysis for a company who want to start implement ISO9001:2008) to analyse where they are standing at the moment versus the ISO9001:2008 requirement? any formats available? how to perform this analysis?

Thanks and appreciate:confused:

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
The phrase 'gap analysis' explains the process pretty well. You are looking to compare what you have against what the standard requires and identify any gaps that may exist. You will no doubt find many examples in the list above.

An example of conducting the gap analysis would be where you talk to the sales department and ask them what they do in order to receive enquiries and convert them into orders. They will have a method or you wouldn't be in business! You make a few notes as they talk and then you need to compare that with clause 7.2 and probably 8.2.1 and perhaps a few others but these 2 are perhaps the main ones for now.

You can then fill in the gap analysis as either conforming or not and if not, what the problem is.

It could be for example that the way in which they deal with amendments to orders isn't clearly defined (a common problem I find) and clause 7.2.2 tells us that there must be a process for managing this.

At the end of this activity you will have a list of things that comply and (potentially) those that don't comply, this becomes your action plan.

Last edited:
K

KCIPOH

Hello Marc,

Thank you for the useful link, i'll look into it.:thanks:

Hello Colin,

Your explanation have lead me to an idea of what a gap analysis is about and how to use it to compare what my company have against the standard requirement and cross check it with the clause and furthermore into the action plans needed.

I will go through it and refer to you if any doubt.

Thanks and appreciate:thanx:

E

ewgl

Gap analysis is consultancy term. But you can do it. For my experience, writing basic procedures,policy,objectives and targets, documenting existing company operations, conducting management review and system assessment, keeping system records and implementing an improvement project are what you need to do.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Gap analysis is consultancy term. But you can do it. For my experience, writing basic procedures,policy,objectives and targets, documenting existing company operations, conducting management review and system assessment, keeping system records and implementing an improvement project are what you need to do.
A Gap Analysis is typically performed so that a company knows "what is missing" before the things you mention are done. One should never start a project before assessing what has to be done, and you can not do that unless you do a Gap Analysis. It may be called something other than a Gap Analysis, but what you call it isn't important. You are baselining what you have and determining what is needed.

J

JaneB

Gap analysis is consultancy term.
I don't think so. It's a phrase in wide usage, as any quick Google search will show.

It is true that for certification purposes, consultants often recommend such a thing and/or perform such a service - I do myself. But that's because it's a Good Thing to know where you are now vs where you want to be/have to be and what the gaps are.

T

topword

I am looking for a ISO 9001 - 2008 gap analysis check list. Is there one out there?

Q

qualityboi

I have done several gap analyses. Our best practice or lessoned learned methodology was this.

1. Train managers and or process owners in the ISO requirments so they are familiar with them and to get them engaged.
2. Ensure the the processes in the organization are mapped (defined and or flow charted)
3. Define the process owners
4. Sit down with the process owners and or managers and in an open setting discuss frankly if the process meets the intent.
5. Record the results and use it as an input to your certification plan

This method worked much better than an individual auditor or contractor coming in as the it makes the management become not only involved but also gives them practical application of the requirements within their processes.

:)

Top Bottom