Employers asking Job Candidates for Facebook Passwords

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
From the Associated Press via Yahoo News:

When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

Bassett, a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn't see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information.

Bassett refused and withdrew his application, saying he didn't want to work for a company that would seek such personal information. But as the job market steadily improves, other job candidates are confronting the same question from prospective employers, and some of them cannot afford to say no.

The full story: Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
This makes me soooooo very glad I never bothered with any social media. I can honestly say "I don't have a 'social network' page".

I don't think I am all that important to have one, particularly with the GPS coordinates embedded into photo's taken with phone cameras and all the other security issues that I don't know about.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
I must agree with both Cove posters; why work for a company that does not believe the information what you have provided thus far??....but even more important is why the heck would you post adverse or questionable photos or data about yourself to begin with??......my opinion is don't do anything that wouldn't make your mama proud, and if you do, keep it off FB/Twitter...bottom line use Linkedin, my inflation adjusted 2 cents...

Marty

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
I'd tell the interviewer he'd have to friend request me. :D

Seriously - giving your password to anyone is stupid. You don't know the person that's interviewing you and what they'll do with your account if they can log in as you. And that is truthfully what I'd say.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I'd tell the interviewer he'd have to friend request me. :D

Seriously - giving your password to anyone is stupid. You don't know the person that's interviewing you and what they'll do with your account if they can log in as you. And that is truthfully what I'd say.

Some of them appear to be trying to get around the password sharing by asking candidates to log in themselves and then allow the interviewer/inquisitioner to go to town.

What hasn't been mentioned here is that not only is this a blatant violation of privacy, the violation extends to one's FB friends who haven't agreed to the employer's demands.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I must agree with both Cove posters; why work for a company that does not believe the information what you have provided thus far??....but even more important is why the heck would you post adverse or questionable photos or data about yourself to begin with??......my opinion is don't do anything that wouldn't make your mama proud, and if you do, keep it off FB/Twitter...bottom line use Linkedin, my inflation adjusted 2 cents...

Marty

Some of them appear to be trying to get around the password sharing by asking candidates to log in themselves and then allow the interviewer/inquisitioner to go to town.

What hasn't been mentioned here is that not only is this a blatant violation of privacy, the violation extends to one's FB friends who haven't agreed to the employer's demands.

Pfffft! I was just kidding about friend requesting too! (I just read the article.)
My first blush response to such a question would be, "Sure! Just as soon as you give me the keys to your house and car! Would you also like to set up mutual web cams in our bedrooms so we can watch each other?" If that didn't get a laugh and an apology, I'd be gone so fast my shadow might get left behind.

Maybe the FBI or CIA or NSA or some other secret spy agency might legitimately ask that, but, things being what they are, they wouldn't have to because they'd already have access!

M

mguilbert

I do not see the need for the facebook password. If you work in a sensitive industy like nuclear, animal protein, pharma, etc you can just google their name and see what pops up. IE if they are an activist, most speak freely about it on line. Companies used to pay for background checks but information can be easily seen now a days on the net. Most prospective employees give their email on job apps you can search FB that way. At my employer we can not even visit sites like FB, MySpace, Twitter, etc. on company computers they are blocked out.

BTW What you post on the internet is not private if you post it on a public sites like FB, ElsMar and others. If it were private all these jokers who have posted videos of themselves commiting crimes, would succeed at the invasion of privacy as a defense.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I do not see the need for the facebook password. If you work in a sensitive industy like nuclear, animal protein, pharma, etc you can just google their name and see what pops up. IE if they are an activist, most speak freely about it on line. Companies used to pay for background checks but information can be easily seen now a days on the net. Most prospective employees give their email on job apps you can search FB that way. At my employer we can not even visit sites like FB, MySpace, Twitter, etc. on company computers they are blocked out.

BTW What you post on the internet is not private if you post it on a public sites like FB, ElsMar and others. If it were private all these jokers who have posted videos of themselves commiting crimes, would succeed at the invasion of privacy as a defense.

MAny people don't use their real names in the Series of Tubes, and searching Facebook for a user profile, no matter how you search, isn't going to help much if the user has properly set the privacy controls. If the user hasn't set the privacy controls either deliberately or not, the password thing is probably moot, except regarding an employer's right to ask for it. This isn't about what might be readily accessible to any one with a working Googler.

Top Bottom