AS9100 Configuration Management Procedure example wanted

D

dgrifffwm

Does anyone have an example of a Configuration management procedure that they would not mind sharing with me. We are working on becoming AS9100 certified and this is very new to us and we could use some help.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Does anyone have an example of a Configuration management procedure that they would not mind sharing with me. We are working on becoming AS9100 certified and this is very new to us and we could use some help.
You might first start with a good understanding of what Configuration Management encompasses.
In general, Configuration Management (CM) seems to give more folks "wedgies" than anything else to do with document management.

In relatively complicated environments like aerospace manufacturing, my personal opinion is that CM needs to be overseen by someone who has a firm grasp of the big picture (overall operations) of the organization. Merely revising a document is only the beginning of a whole string of decisions ranging the gamut from
  • "this will take effect when and if we use up all the old stock"
to
  • "Stop everything! Recall all previous models, destroy all existing stock, institute an organization-wide purge of all obsolete versions of this document."
Often, the correct decisions are ingrained in the pertinent personnel to the extent they make them without further thought. Very infrequently, however, some manager will become penny-wise and pound foolish by hiring a low-wage clerk to do something he thinks of as a "filing function" (Configuration Management) when the true function requires managerial level decision making for the optimum decision to preserve corporate profitability and still assure meeting all customer requirements. It also requires thinking beyond the box in terms of knowing that a change as simple as one from straight slot screws to Phillips head may also entail changing production equipment and work instructions and repair instructions and repair kits, changing suppliers, finding a customer for obsolete stock, etc.

J

Jason PCSwitches

[FONT=&quot]I agree with Wes, this is an example of a clause that is taken both lightly and to stringent - perception wise I mean. It is an extremely important aspect of ANY organization.

All you need to have is an "established, documented & maintained" SYSTEM in place that allows you to control YOUR product and its subcomponents. Which I guarantee you do already have, just document how you maintain it and your good. I will be happy to provide you with a procedure but this particular aspect of the standard is truly organization specific, which is a good thing.

Do some analysis and draft a procedure and let us review it; you are in good company on this site. I have learned more at the Cove than I did at my time at USC, but than again reality is a bit different than fiction........[/FONT]:bonk:

D

dgrifffwm

Jason,

You are correct that we already have a system in place. I have developed a flowchart to show the procedures and work instructions already in place.

I am a Quality Systems Tech that works directly with our Quality Director to make sure our QMS is compliant. We are brand new to AS9100 so configuration management was very new to us so we wanted to make sure we were heading in the right direction.

Thanks so much for your comments.

J

Jason PCSwitches

No problem. If you have a flowchart and that is the way you do things, "the proof is in the pudding" and you will be fine. Just comply with YOUR procedure; you are already complying to the standard if you have it in place.

Top Bottom