ASQ or RAB Auditor Certification - Which is Better? ISO 9001 and ISO 14001

Z

Zuggy

Hi,
This is my forst time posting to the Cove. This is a GREAT place for basic and fundimental questions in the ISO field. I have been working in this field for a bout 8 months and my learning curve has been very steep, my question is I am wondiering which is beter a ASQ or a RAB certification path? I have seen and heard arguments for both. Now I am working with both 9001 and 14001 standards.

Tim

:thanks:

D

dokes

My personal view is that RAB certification is desirable if you plan to work for a registrar, otherwise it has little value. ASQ certification is of more interest to other employers, some who list CQA, CQE, or CQMgr as desired. So, it depends on why you seek certification, and what your short term and long term goals are. It also depends on what you expect to gain from the certification.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Zuggy, and welcome to the Cove.

There really isn't one answer to your question. If you are using it to demonstrate to someone else that you have competence in auditing, pick whichever route they put more stock in. If you are doing it for yourself, I'd probably pick the RAB (RABQSA) route.

Z

Zuggy

In the area of not wanting to be an external auditor or work for a external auditors comapny your saying that ASQ is the way to go. However, ASQ seems only to cover the quality aspect of ISO, I would like to have a cross certification in the 9001 and 14001 areas.

Tim

:thanx:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Zuggy said:
In the area of not wanting to be an external auditor or work for a external auditors comapny your saying that ASQ is the way to go. However, ASQ seems only to cover the quality aspect of ISO, I would like to have a cross certification in the 9001 and 14001 areas.

Tim

ASQ doesn't specifically cover ANY Standard in its certifications. A quick look at overview of a CQA will demonstrate my point
ASQ said:
Quality Auditor (CQA) Introduction
The Certified Quality Auditor is a professional who understands the standards and principles of auditing and the auditing techniques of examining, questioning, evaluating, and reporting to determine a quality system’s adequacy and deficiencies. The Certified Quality Auditor analyzes all elements of a quality system and judges its degree of adherence to the criteria of industrial management and quality evaluation and control systems.

Minimum Expectations for a Certified Quality Auditor:

• Must possess the knowledge and ability to effectively conduct different types of audits in a professional, ethical, and objective manner using and interpreting applicable standards/requirements, with an awareness of potential legal and financial ramifications.

• Must be able to effectively plan, develop, communicate, and execute an audit within a defined scope, including resource scheduling, conducting necessary meetings in performance of the audit, using appropriate auditing techniques.
• Must be able to verify, document, and communicate audit results, develop an audit report, and evaluate the effectiveness of corrective action/follow-up.
• Must possess interpersonal skills to resolve conflict, conduct interviews, and make presentations effectively.
• Must be able to participate in, lead, and facilitate teams. Must understand how quality principles relate to business processes and be able to explain the importance of aligning the audit function to the organization.
• Must be able to select and use a wide variety of quality and auditing tools and techniques in practical applications.

Examination
Each certification candidate is required to pass a written examination that consists of multiple-choice questions that measure comprehension of the BOK. The Quality Auditor examination is a five-hour, 150 multiple-choice question examination. It is offered in the English language only.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
The ASQ CQA certification covers only quality audits. That's what the "Q" is for. RABQSA has certifications for both QMS and EMS, but you have to achieve each one separately.

B

BSMITH

EMS Lead Auditor

Zuggy said:

Tim

I can tell you that having my EMS Lead Auditor certification through the RAB (now RABQSA) has been a factor in my getting hired through a local college to teach Environmental Management, hired to teach ISO 14001 Lead Auditor classes, and hired to do EMS audits for a registrar.

I have heard that in 2006 there will be some kind of master Lead Auditor designation that could include EMS, QMS, and Safety and Health. I'm still trying to learn more about that.

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
If you have the time and energy and still young, get the ones that you think will help you in your career. I got my CRE, CRE, CQA, IPC-610 trainer, SEI software CMMI. I took the Lead auditor class and trying to get certified as Lead auditor. All these certification helped me pick and choose the jobs I wanted in the last 15 years.

Top Bottom