Combination Charts in Excel to stack the data/Chart of Week 2 on top of Week 1

W

Winner

Dear Covers,

Have you ever worked with Combination charts in Excel? I was wondering if any of you has worked on the kind of chart I am talking about.

Please have a look at the data and the Chart1 for Week1.

The question/ problem is: Is there a way to stack the data/Chart of Week 2 on top of Week1? I am talking about the Stacked column for charts such that you can see the weekly improvement in a factor over a month.

I can do it for 1 factor as shown in Chart 3 of the Excel file but not for 3 factors.

Any ideas, comments, suggestion?

Thanks a lot,

Harsh

P.S.- Please see the Excel file attached.

Attachments

• problem.xls
    20 KB · Views: 472
L

little__cee

Maybe...

IF I understand it, and that's a big IF on a Friday afternoon, couldn't you set up your data like so:

t1f1 2 3
t2f1 1 8
t3f1 4 5

week1 week2

Where t1f1 = Type1Factor1, t2f1=Type2Factor1, and etc.

Maybe that's too simple - sorry but I'm feeling the effects of massive doses of Sudafed, Throat Spray, Nasal Spray, and lots and lots of Vicks' VapoRub so its possible that I misunderstood your problem. Hope my solution helps you to get on the right track.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Would it help to use a combination bar and area chart? This is available among the custom chart selections.

Attachments

• problem.xls
    23.5 KB · Views: 344

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
little__cee said:
IF I understand it, and that's a big IF on a Friday afternoon, couldn't you set up your data like so:

t1f1 2 3
t2f1 1 8
t3f1 4 5

week1 week2

Where t1f1 = Type1Factor1, t2f1=Type2Factor1, and etc.

Maybe that's too simple - sorry but I'm feeling the effects of massive doses of Sudafed, Throat Spray, Nasal Spray, and lots and lots of Vicks' VapoRub so its possible that I misunderstood your problem. Hope my solution helps you to get on the right track.

That is what I get out of the question/example as well. Just below your factor 1 for types 1-3, you would input factor 2 for t1-3 and then factor 3 for t1-3, then everything is on the same chart.

W

Winner

Thank you so much!!

SteelMaiden said:
That is what I get out of the question/example as well. Just below your factor 1 for types 1-3, you would input factor 2 for t1-3 and then factor 3 for t1-3, then everything is on the same chart.

Sometimes, hangover helps in concentration :)

I firstly thought that I got you all confused with the problem. So I changed all the factor and type names; paraphrased my question and was about to send the question to the forum again.

However, Steel Maiden's last lines struck me and I thought to myself that I didnt try that combination of data at all. And guess what, it worked!!!!!! Yay!! Thank you!

The reason Jennifer, I dont want to go for complex ( Area and other combination) charts is that- the charts are not meant for me :). Charts are either for the experts, i.e., people working on the machines or the decision makers i.e. Plant Managers/CEO and they will have a hard time understanding what the charts are trying to convey.

Before making any depictions, I talk to people in all departments and ask them what information do they want in what format. And then start making them.

I have uploaded the chart which I wanted , scroll to the very bottom. Its the chart in the end.

best,

Harsh

Attachments

• problem.xls
    30.5 KB · Views: 432

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Harsh, I didn't understand it as well as Steel Maiden did. I'm glad you got the right resolution to your problem!

Top Bottom