Start and support a thread regarding good books

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madfox

(which a lot of people do), but I got tired of ordering books from ASQ based upon a review in QP and gettting fish wrap. I now go to Amazon, not only for a better price, but also for the validity of the reviews. (Also never had a bad experience buying a used copy!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
How about a specific thread for each book? That way we can have the book being discussed in the discussion thread title.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Jennifer Kirley said:
There can be a forum where threads can be listed and searched by topic.
I have not found a way to make a forum list threads alphabetically by default. But, you can sort a forum in several ways manually:

Thread sort.gif

Clicking on any of the column headers will sort the forum by that attribute.

Madfox said:
Might get cumbersome. How about by subject?
I guess that's a personal preference. It's OK to do it however you want. I suggested by title, but a general discussion thread is OK, too. I'll leave it up to you folks to decide. But - I did move this thread to the "Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews" forum as I think the topic fits better here.

Q

QualityPhD

Good Book

Not the most exciting reading, yet very helpful for Middle Management and especially MR's in qms is "The 360 Degree Leader".

Just finished "No Place Like Hoem" by Mary Higgins Clark -- good poolside reading.

Now reading a Oprah's Favorite, "A Hundred Years of ????" Can't remember the title and I am totally braindead today... Long day of Lead Auditor training... if it's long for me, certainly must be long for the students...

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think it's a good idea Madfox (you fool) because, like you say, fishwrap.

If there were a list of books and a number of reviews by Elsmar Cove people, I would look it up before every purchase, and post a review every after.

There were questions about rust on parts last night, and I found a $290 book about corrosion from ASM that I really wanted. That's the kind of thing I would review for the list.

There was a book about tool geometry that was a good read for anyone learning to be a machinist, but for me it was really useless because I already knew the stuff. It would have been nice to know the depth of the content.

What subjects would we narrow the list to, and at what size would it be really useful to the quality professional?

M

Madfox

books

Tough call on how to arrange. My thought was to keep it to books/material regarding our industry. (I don't read fiction.)

For example, though perhaps not the right venue/thread here, I'm seeking Six Sigma training material. Got quotes from $425/student for a text to $2500 for a licensed packet; big investment for materials not seen or test-driven.

I'm assisting someone who's consulting on a lean project (his/her first). I loaned him/her my copy of "Learning to See" (supposedly the "best"), but still found it lacking fo using on-site!

H

H. Majhenich

H. Majhenich

Any opinions on "Quality Gaging Tips", the new one by Jim McCusker and George Schuetz? I'm debating whether or not to get it.

G

Greg B

I'm in a new book club at aNobii - Create, Share and Expose Booklists it is easy to use and everyone logs in the books they own (you get your own page)...People peruse your reading material and you theirs..in this way you can discover new books and authors. I have found a few books and placed them in my wishlist. You can print your wish list out at a later date and it comes complete with ISBNs, author etc or you can link to any number of websites to purchase books such as amazon. It is still in its early stages but looks promising. I have been using it for a little while and enjoy it immensely.
The book I am about to purchase is "The curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time" it is written from the perspective of an Autistic boy that discovers his neighbors dog as been killed...I have read some extracts and can't wait to read more. My daughter has Aspergers Syndrome - a form of Autism and some of the things this boy sees ans says remind me of her (The author used to work with autistic children)...It is a good read ..well at least what I have read thus far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom