How do I conduct Management Review Meetings?

N

notreadytoretire

I am having a lot of trouble trying to capture our management review. We are a small company and do not have many meetings. We handle things on a day to day basis. We communicate by emails, directly etc. I have tried having meetings which do not work for us. Our Sr. Executive Director is very hands on and there is not much we need a meeting to go over that hasn't been already. I have struggled with this for 2 years now. I try to print out the emails, charts, audit reports etc. and try to chart when they were discussed etc. What I am doing is so time consuming. I need a better way. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help..

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How do I conduct Management Review meetings ?

We have similar situation. So we no longer have a "management review" meeting. Instead, management review is an ongoing process. We have a checklist with all of the things we would normally cover in a formal meeting. As those items are reviewed, in meeting or not, I complete the checklist. I might sit down once a month and review the checklist. It seems to work pretty good. Good luck.

AndyN

Moved On

I am having a lot of trouble trying to capture our management review. We are a small company and do not have many meetings. We handle things on a day to day basis. We communicate by emails, directly etc. I have tried having meetings which do not work for us. Our Sr. Executive Director is very hands on and there is not much we need a meeting to go over that hasn't been already. I have struggled with this for 2 years now. I try to print out the emails, charts, audit reports etc. and try to chart when they were discussed etc. What I am doing is so time consuming. I need a better way. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help..

I feel your pain! Firstly, please don't think ISO requires meetings. You can simply gather data, analyze it, present it to management and make suggestions/invite their comments.

T

TShepherd

That is is correct in ISO - even an informal discussion can be documented and retained which would identify the areas for discussion such as Quality, Cost Thru-put, Delevery or what ever your check list has on it.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

notreadytoretire,

Before the review prepare a Management System Performance Report.

Send it to the participants a week before their review and be clear on what you are asking them to do.

Also, condense the results of each review in a State of our System report so all the employees know about its effectiveness (see 5.5.3) by informing them what the management system:

• Does well
  • Does less than well
  • What the leaders are doing about B
Best wishes,

John

normzone

It's a tradeoff - where do you want to feel your pain at?

You can make it an ongoing project to maintain a system where you track the things that the standard requires for management review, which is one kind of work.

Or you can get information pertaining to the same from all the players, get everybody together once a year or more and touch bases on all these issues.

I think a lot of QA folks do the latter. It's not required to be done that way, as pointed out above, but it makes for a convenient format to track things in.

As for the former, it sounds like something that would be valid, and in theory easier, but I'm not so certain that execution would be as simple as it sounds. I guess once you had the checklist in place and were in the habit of maintaining it it would work just as easy or easier, but that's all theory to me at this point.

N

notreadytoretire

Thank you Andy. Iso 9001:2008 says that the review should be at "planned intervals." How do I address this? How do I prove it? Management Review always gives me "fits". I think I might have a mental block and probably making it out to be harder than what it is. Thanks for your help

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

Thank you Andy. Iso 9001:2008 says that the review should be at "planned intervals." How do I address this? How do I prove it? Management Review always gives me "fits". I think I might have a mental block and probably making it out to be harder than what it is. Thanks for your help

notreadytoretire,

Put the Management Reviews on your Internal Audit Schedule.

That way you can make sure top management has something to chew on.

John

Mark Meer

A word of caution:
In a recent FDA inspection, our Management Review process was a source of a 483. The reason? The inspector thought that signatures of all attendees was required as "proof" of attendance. (we were simply listing attendees).
So, face-to-face meeting or not, you might want to consider circulating a "signoff" to any persons involved in the reviews.

As far as general suggestions:
In our recent ISO surveillance audit, the focus seemed to be on data, reporting and analysis. Ideally, you'd want to document the following:
  1. Clearly define some quantitative objectives
  2. Define the data gathered and time period
  3. Define how the data will be analyzed (e.g. statistical techniques)
  4. Analyze and report on data (e.g. charts, tables, etc.)
  5. Compare reporting to objectives. Note any trends and potential areas for improvement.

normzone

Yeah, it's on our internal audit checklist.

I like this idea:

" Also, condense the results of each review in a State of our System report so all the employees know about its effectiveness (see 5.5.3) by informing them what the management system:

A) Does well
B) Does less than well
C) What the leaders are doing about B "

Although some diplomatic editing needs to take place - some of what gets discussed in the MRM is not appropriate for general distribution.

I have a MRM agenda form that mirrors the requirements of the ISO standard. I've personalized it with issues that are germane to our industry and company.

I clue the appropriate participants re their information deliverables with time to spare. We meet and go down the list as quickly and orderly as I can get the children to play with each other - It's important to observe good meeting practices, because it will STILL be a challenge even with them in place.

A list of followup action items emerges, and we address it as appropriate, then review it as part of the next meeting.

The key to getting the players to do this without rebellion is good meeting management and clear expectations.

Top Bottom