What time is it - Test for "Scuola Normale di Pisa"

Z

zancky

That's the translation (with some changes due to language) of a test for "Scuola Normale di Pisa". The collection of tests has been published in Italy by Bollati Boringhieri.
while the train is passing through the station of Pisa, the driver look is watch and see the seconds arrow is on the "0". After 8 km at a constant speed of 33 km/h the "minutes" arrow is perfectly on the "hour" arrow. Calculate at what time the train passed throught the Pisa station.

Another one.
Where can You be in the world if after walking in sequence 1 mile toward south, 1 mile toward east and 1 miles toward north, You are on the same starting point? (do not say on a cross road of incoming tapis roulant)

tell me if You need more translations:bonk:

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
Re: what time is it

Another one.
Where can You be in the world if after walking in sequence 1 mile toward south, 1 mile toward east and 1 miles toward north, You are on the same starting point? (do not say on a cross road of incoming tapis roulant)

Without giving away the solution yet, let me suggest that there are actually many answers to this question. So don't stop if you get just one answer!

Z

zancky

Re: what time is it

Without giving away the solution yet, let me suggest that there are actually many answers to this question. So don't stop if you get just one answer!
only few regions(I do not wont to say more.....)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nonaynever - 2008

According to my math, it's 10:40 (either AM or PM, obviously)

F

Frank T.

While the train is passing through the station of Pisa, the driver look is watch and see the seconds arrow is on the "0". After 8 km at a constant speed of 33 km/h the "minutes" arrow is perfectly on the "hour" arrow. Calculate at what time the train passed throught the Pisa station.

I too, get 10:40.

Where can you be in the world if after walking in sequence 1 mile toward south, 1 mile toward east and 1 miles toward north, You are on the same starting point?

My guess is, North Pole.

Attachments

• North Pole.png
    North Pole.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dean Frederickson

That's the translation (with some changes due to language) of a test for "Scuola Normale di Pisa". The collection of tests has been published in Italy by Bollati Boringhieri.
while the train is passing through the station of Pisa, the driver look is watch and see the seconds arrow is on the "0". After 8 km at a constant speed of 33 km/h the "minutes" arrow is perfectly on the "hour" arrow. Calculate at what time the train passed throught the Pisa station.

Another one.

tell me if You need more translations:bonk:

To respond to the first question I have never seen a "0" on a watch and without knowing the time 8 km out of the Pisa train station how can you calculate what time you went through the station?
To answer the 2nd question any mountain top that is over a mile high.:cool:

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
To respond to the first question I have never seen a "0" on a watch and without knowing the time 8 km out of the Pisa train station how can you calculate what time you went through the station?
There are only 11 times of day when the two hands exactly line up - roughly
12:00, 1:05, 2:11 .... 10:55.

Only one if those times (10:55) is exactly the right number of seconds after the minute in order for the train to have been exactly 8 km away at 33 km/hr and have the time be an exact minute at the station.

And I don;t think a mountain will work for the other question

A

alex_bell

10:40 is what I came up with also.

For the second question I suppose there are technically an infinite number of places you could be.

the obvious answer is the north pole.

The infinite answer would be near the south pole. At somepoint near the pole the distance round that part of the earth will be one mile.

to calculate the distance from the pole it should be:

r = circumference / 2.Pi

r = 1 /2.Pi
r ~0.159 miles

So if you starts at 0.159 miles + 1 mile north of the south pole going 1 mile south will put you at 0.159 miles from the pole and if you walk east for a mile at this point you will go right around the earth and end up at the same point where you started going east and then 1 mile north will return you to your starting point. As you can do this at anypoint that is 1.159 miles from the south pole there are pretty much an infinite number of locations you can start from.

Z

zancky

time is right:confused:

Alex_bell is very close to the second question too:confused: but think angain and you will find the final description of the places (You stated the place is a specified parallel ......)

Top Bottom