Starting an ISO 17025 Accredited Laboratory

K

kat.k.

Hi,

I am looking for some information on ISO accredited labs. Does anyone know what it would take such as education, equipment, etc. and cost of starting an ISO lab? I have experience, just became a member of ASQ, and plan to take courses in Measurement Quality. I have been in dimensional gage calibration for about 15 years and the supervisor for over 4 and like what I do very well. The last year I've been wondering if starting my own lab would be doable or so extremely expensive and out of my reach to just give it up.

Thank you
Kat.K

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On
Hi,

I am looking for some information on ISO accredited labs. Does anyone know what it would take such as education, equipment, etc. and cost of starting an ISO lab? I have experience, just became a member of ASQ, and plan to take courses in Measurement Quality. I have been in dimensional gage calibration for about 15 years and the supervisor for over 4 and like what I do very well. The last year I've been wondering if starting my own lab would be doable or so extremely expensive and out of my reach to just give it up.

Thank you
Kat.K

Kat - interesting question
As you know, there are some very experienced lab-type contributors here, so you'll be in good hands.

Can you tell us what types of calibration you will cover. Obviously this is going to dictate what kinds of mastering equipment you may be buying. After that it's a case of determining what size building you want to locate in (I'm guessing not your basement or garage) and whether you have any organizations you might be able to supply the service to...

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello, Kat! :bigwave:

I guess my first question is about strategic objectives. Are you planning on having a lab that does commercial work? Is there a business imperative to achieve the accreditation?

The reason I ask is that the entire process is expensive and all.

But what I would do is...

1. Purchase the standard and develop a gap analysis. There are a couple of them on here. Here is the link for one of them:

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=16345

2. You could contact an AB for a quote, if you're really interested.

Then add the costs together, multiply by 1.5 (just a safety measure :)), and then determine if that is something you want to pursue.:agree1:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Kat - interesting question
As you know, there are some very experienced lab-type contributors here, so you'll be in good hands.

Can you tell us what types of calibration you will cover. Obviously this is going to dictate what kinds of mastering equipment you may be buying. After that it's a case of determining what size building you want to locate in (I'm guessing not your basement or garage) and whether you have any organizations you might be able to supply the service to...

Sorry I was typing while you were posting. :eek: So some of my points sound awfully close to yours.

E

Elynn

Hi Kat, my ex company started a test Laboratory in 2002. Apart from the cost of equipment to acquire, you have to also look at the running / operating cost from business aspect, such as the scope of calibration you intend to cover, labor, training required for the staff, equipment calibration cost, etc.

For equipment, since you have been in the field for quite awhile, you should enquire from the suppliers on the set up cost and also the regular equipment calibration cost. And if you require spare equipment during the period when equipment is being sent for calibration or downtime when repair is required. Getting the ISO 17025 accreditation may not be the main obstacle but maintaining it is a challenge. Hope this helps.... Good luck. :cool:

K

kat.k.

cylindrical ring gauges, plug gauges
angles, center distances

K

kat.k.

This is the information I am looking for. Thank you so much!

S

Space Scientist

Hi Kat

I am just finishing a dissertation on justification of implementating ISO 17025 where I work. I did do a rough cost analysis and for my company it would work out at about £7500 based roughly 50:50 between updating procedures (we are already ISO 9001:2008 certified, so most of the work has already been done), and the costs to UKAS for accrediation

I know these are UK figures, but I expect not to much different there. As mentioned by BradM a gap analysis would be your first starting point, and get quotes for the different accrediation organisations.

Another item is in uncertainity, it is a complex and difficult subject. Any assessor will look at this, so make sure you fully understand it.

Good luck

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hi Kat

I am just finishing a dissertation on justification of implementating ISO 17025 where I work. I did do a rough cost analysis and for my company it would work out at about £7500 based roughly 50:50 between updating procedures (we are already ISO 9001:2008 certified, so most of the work has already been done), and the costs to UKAS for accrediation

I know these are UK figures, but I expect not to much different there. As mentioned by BradM a gap analysis would be your first starting point, and get quotes for the different accrediation organisations.

Another item is in uncertainity, it is a complex and difficult subject. Any assessor will look at this, so make sure you fully understand it.

Good luck

Awesome first post! And welcome to the Cove!:bigwave:

I hope you plan on helping out around here a lot. We get a lot of 17025 questions here.

Also, if you are ever so inclined, feel free to share any findings from your research. We would welcome it. :agree1:

S

socim

Dear All,

Can somebody help me on this. Our company is certified to ISO 9001:2008 and we have plans of accrediting to ISO 17025. Does anyone have a sample of a gap analysis between 9001 and 17025 so that we may know what additional documentations we should prepare when certifying/accrediting to 17025.

Appreciate all of your helpful suggestions. Thank you very much!

socim

Top Bottom