Counting Bolts & Nuts to Pack - Each quantity is NOT fixed

J

johnnybegood

Is there any lean way to pick bolts and nuts of various size and pack them into a plastic bag. Each quantity is NOT fixed. Currently we manually count them and I find it too time consuming.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
There are all kinds of machines, such as this one, that can do weighing/counting/packaging, but whether any of them can do what you need them to do is another question. Most companies that sell these machines have application engineers who can answer your questions. Maybe someone here has direct experience with them and can provide some guidance.

J

johnnybegood

We manufacture and supply press steel tank. In each order we provide the BNW (bolt/nut/washer). We get the BNW from our suppliers and they came in canvas bag of 50kg. A bag of 50kgs of M16x40mm contain approximately 418 sets of B&N. There is no issue if the work order requires exactly 1 bag (418pcs). The problem is the when the work order requires 380pcs. I have to manually count them which is very time consuming & tiring.

W

Wilderness Woody

We manufacture and supply press steel tank. In each order we provide the BNW (bolt/nut/washer). We get the BNW from our suppliers and they came in canvas bag of 50kg. A bag of 50kgs of M16x40mm contain approximately 418 sets of B&N. There is no issue if the work order requires exactly 1 bag (418pcs). The problem is the when the work order requires 380pcs. I have to manually count them which is very time consuming & tiring.

With large BNW as you describe, they weigh .1196 KG each, so I would think that a decent quality scale should provide discrimination to meet your needs. 380 sets weigh 45.4545 KG and you could do a little testing to verify the consistent weight of samples to ensure it works for you.

Unless you are buying sets with lots of variation that could throw off weights such as length, steel density, poor thread cutting/rolling, nut and washer size variance etc. you should be able to make this painless. Just don't weigh the canvas bags :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bjourne

In my previous work in an automotive manufacturing firm, when there is a requirement for a specific count to be used in the line, the production engineers request the suppliers to have a specific count for a pack which will be specifically labelled for, say, A-Line use only. Each line's material is tailored to it's specific product or automotive component it makes. But it's a great idea by Wilderness Woody to start with a decent scale to weigh them and see what is the weight of the quantity you need. Experiments have to made so it would also be at least accurate. In a former semiconductor firm I also worked, we weigh small IC's which have equivalent weight/count. I did not do the study but it always had the equivalent count when checked. Hope you get the solution you need :) Good luck :)

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi, :bigwave:
In my previous work in a speaker manufacturing company, there is a requirement to count the sub assembly parts to be used in the production line.
However, in one product it compose of several sub-parts, i.e. nuts and bolts as an example. We create a study on how a specific count (1000 pcs = 15 grams), we make several samples just to get the tolerance. Then, creating a table the weight of parts = number of pcs. Though in reality, it is an approximately equal to the parts being counted. And we don't have any problem regarding the system.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

Top Bottom