How is transport of Dangerous Goods (limited quantity) regulated for Bulk Transport?

D

Dr RA

How is transport of dangerous goods(limited quantity) regulated for bulk transport?

where can you find information on this?

Many Thanks

RA

D

Dr RA

Re: Transport of dangerous goods

Thanks Steve, I am based in UK.

RA

K

kgott

Re: How is transport of Dangerous Goods (limited quantity) regulated for Bulk Transpo

How is transport of dangerous goods(limited quantity) regulated for bulk transport? <snip>

RA; Your British legislative framework is similar to ours so I think there will be a Regulation on this in the UK. It will be something like 'The Transport of Dangerous Goods Act and the actual requirements will most lilkely be in the subsidiary Regulations.

It may also be a Code of Practice but its more likely to be legislation which is administered and enforced by Regulator of some sort

Look up your government legislation data base on the web. Some government department should be hosting it.

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Re: How is transport of Dangerous Goods (limited quantity) regulated for Bulk Transpo

How is transport of dangerous goods(limited quantity) regulated for bulk transport? <snip>

Can you clarify what you mean by limited quantity and bulk transport? If it's a bulk shipment, it cannot also be a limited quantity.

In the US DOT regulations, limited quantities of DG come with several exceptions to the packaging and shipping regulations. Bulk transport is a whole 'nother animal.

D

Dr RA

Thanks for valuable suggestions. with reference to ADR 4.1.1.6, dangerous goods can not be packed together(there are two products) in the same outer packaging

This is what my query is: The quantity is too minimal(limited quantity) where you are exempted from labelling. In this case, how does the transport of bulk quantity apply. There is no ADR referal for one product, so it is not restricted by any transport regulation, at the same time the two components can not be packed individually as they form part of a product.

I think I have complicated the query, sorry:mad:

Thank you all for the support

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator

Ok, I need a couple things cleared up:

First:

Your use of "bulk" is confusing me. In the US DOT regulations, a bulk shipment is defined as a single packaging of 450 L or 400 kg.

Is this what you are referring to?

Second:

ADR 4.1.1.6 reads:

Dangerous goods shall not be packed together in the same outer packaging or in large packagings, with dangerous or other goods if they react dangerously with each other and cause:

(a) combustion or evolution of considerable heat;

(b) evolution of flammable, asphyxiant, oxidizing or toxic gases;

(c) the formation of corrosive substances; or

(d) the formation of unstable substances.

Do the two components in question react with each other?

D

Dr RA

Q1. The sachets are 0.7g of the two components each. Another version has 13g of each. They are marketed in a pack of 10's and 100's of 0.7g and 10's of 13g. So shipping pallet has approximately 70-80 boxes, which I referd as bulk quantity.
Q2. They react in presence of water

Many Thanks
RA

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator

Q1. The sachets are 0.7g of the two components each. Another version has 13g of each. They are marketed in a pack of 10's and 100's of 0.7g and 10's of 13g. So shipping pallet has approximately 70-80 boxes, which I referd as bulk quantity.

It's not officially bulk - it's just a bunch of limited quantity packaging and is treated as limited quantity - with all the exceptions to the regulations intact.

Q2. They react in presence of water

Then ADR 4.1.1.6 doesn't apply - they have to react dangerously with each other. Nothing in there about water.

Hope that helps.

D

Dr RA

Thank you. I have got that sorted they are good to go under limited quantity and excepted quantities as well. As mentioned by you, they are not bulk packaging either.

Top Bottom