ISO/TS 16949 - Clauses for Audit

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
All,

Did I catch all of the TS clauses for these audits or did I miss something? I know you always hit the training, document control etc,. Does anyone have a matrix that states which clause should be hit everytime.

1. Development Lab - 7.6

2. APQP/Design 7.1, 7.2, 7.3.1, 7.3

3. Sales 5.2, 8.2.1

4. HR 6.1, 6.2

5. Management Review 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6

Thanks,
Al40

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: TS clauses for audit

The clauses audited with each process depends on how your organization has defined the processes. You listed 7.6 as the only clause for the development lab. Is the development lab only concerned with measurement equipment and calibration? It seems like they would do more than that. Also, as you mentioned, do they also have competency requirements for personnel, documents and records to control, etc.? Here's a matrix used by a company to plan for their audits: Sample Internal Audit Schedule.doc

It was developed for AS9100, but the same principle applies. You'll see that there are some clauses that are audited in just about every process, while there are some clauses that are only looked at in one process. Hopefully it will help...

AndyN

Moved On
Re: TS 16949 - Clauses for Audit

Such a calendar of audits, isn't actually a requirement, I'd like to point out - however traditional it may be! It's a practical impossibility to 'predict' when something should be audited and, worse, if you really understand 'status and importance' of the process, the calendar can miss those aspects or, end up making more work (and subsequent confusion) if it is being updated all the time.

All that's needed (see ISO 9004 for guidance) is to define a frequency and, based on contemporary process performance etc select a scope at the appropriate time! No crystal ball required, no management confusion over 'when do I get audited?"

howste

Thaumaturge
Re: TS 16949 - Clauses for Audit

Such a calendar of audits, isn't actually a requirement, I'd like to point out - however traditional it may be! It's a practical impossibility to 'predict' when something should be audited and, worse, if you really understand 'status and importance' of the process, the calendar can miss those aspects or, end up making more work (and subsequent confusion) if it is being updated all the time.
I think you're missing the point of the matrix in the discussion. There's no implication that there's a requirement for a calendar. In fact, for this discussion, the months at the top of the columns are not really relevant. The idea is that the "applicability matrix" is a useful method for audit planning to determine which process audits will address which requirements of the standard.
All that's needed (see ISO 9004 for guidance) is to define a frequency and, based on contemporary process performance etc select a scope at the appropriate time! No crystal ball required, no management confusion over 'when do I get audited?"
If you only define audit scopes at the time of each individual audit, there's always a probability of missing something. I definitely agree that relevant data at the time of the audit should must influence the scope and focus of each individual audit, but a higher-level overview of the system audit plan is important too.

AndyN

Moved On
True, Howste, and I appreciate your clarification - but we both know, in all honesty, that's the default position that people usually adopt, isn't it? An element or similar a month?

howste

Thaumaturge
I think there's a difference between an element (or clause) a month and a process a month though...

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
All,

Did I catch all of the TS clauses for these audits or did I miss something? I know you always hit the training, document control etc,. Does anyone have a matrix that states which clause should be hit everytime.

1. Development Lab - 7.6

2. APQP/Design 7.1, 7.2, 7.3.1, 7.3

3. Sales 5.2, 8.2.1

4. HR 6.1, 6.2

5. Management Review 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6

Thanks,
Al40

TS-16949 and ISO 9001 internal audits should be schedul;ed based on the processes you defined in your QMS. While clauses can be audited, your registrar should be confirming you are scheduling to your processes.

S

Spring2011

TS-16949 and ISO 9001 internal audits should be schedul;ed based on the processes you defined in your QMS. While clauses can be audited, your registrar should be confirming you are scheduling to your processes.
Not for sure how to attach documents here but I do have a linkage chart that I have put together to ensure all applicable clauses are audited. If you would like a copy just let me know and I can email it to you.

Top Bottom