Reverse PFMEA also known as "Go and See" PFMEA - Customer Request

M

marty100

We have a customer asking us to implement Reverse PMEA also known as "Go and See" PFMEA. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Reverse PMEA also known as "Go and See" PFMEA - Customer Request

Reverse PMEA or Reverse PFMEA?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

not a lot of info to go on. marty100 can you provide more details? have you asked your customer exactly what they want? 'go and see' is a Japanese phrase meaning get out of the conference room and see and work the actual process for yourself...'reverse' PFMEA is suggestive of working backwards from actual failures so I could guess what they mean but that's all it would be.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Go and see.

Taichi Ohno, creator of the Toyota Production System is credited, perhaps apocryphally, with taking new graduates to the shopfloor and drawing a chalk circle on the floor. The graduate would be told to stand in the circle and to observe and note down what he saw. When Ohno returned he would check and if the Graduate had not seen enough he would be asked to keep observing. Ohno was trying to imprint upon his future engineers that the only way to truly understand what happens on the shopfloor was to go there. It was here that value was added and here that waste could be observed.

Genchi Genbutsu is therefore a key approach in problem solving. If the problem exists on the shopfloor then it needs to be understood and solved at the shopfloor.

This attitude of Genchi Genbutsu is also called Gemba attitude. Gemba is the Japanese term for "the place" in this case 'the place where it actually happens'. Since real value is created at the shopfloor in manufacturing, this is where management need to spend their time.

Also, sometimes referred to as "Getcha your boots on" (and go out and see what is happening) due to its similar cadence and meaning.

Reverse FMEA. Begin at slide #37

Stijloor.

M

marty100

Thanks everyone. I have no more information at this time but this is connceted with my customers staus with GM. They want to visit our plant to see how we have implemented this. I have had trouble accessing some of the links as my IT system has blocked them.

Top Bottom