A TS 16949 Implementation through Registration Project Diary - Automotive

Hello everyone,
Well, it must be very cold in the nether regions.

Our company has just embarked on a Project to register to the TS16949:2002 Standard. We have hired a consultant (one I recommended and our top management raved about, sweet) :agree1: . Our first meetings were this week and we have already put a lot of rubber on the road. This person will also be a contract employee to perform our Internal Audit function.

Our schedule is to have registration audits in mid-December. However, I will not be dissappointed if that actually ends up being mid-January (2005). Some here have listened when I made the point that our very experienced staff also has a lot of vacation and we run at rather low staffing levels in December.

Finally, to answer before it's asked: We have a SERIOUS customer requirement (i.e. both the customer and the requirement cannot be ignored). Otherwise, we would not go through this process, since we already have things pretty well under control (this has been discussed in many other threads).

I'll post back here when I can and let everyone know how it goes. BTW, I am not the Quality Manager, Project Manager or the Management Rep. but I do know who's going to do most of the work. :eek:

A

Al Dyer

Do you have an M.R. or an outside source to provide management continuity?

Al...

Al,
Good question! Our Chief Financial Officer is the Management Representative.

I will be "acting" Quality Manager (and alternate Management Rep.) for the time being. Our size and revenue stream does not currently warrant a full time QM. Should all plans come to fruition, our size and revenue should allow for a full time QM (and it won't be me!).

Our only outside contract is for Internal Audit. He is an RAB Certified Lead Auditor and will write the Internal Audit Section of our Procedures. <edit: I will be trained and educated on the IA procedures so that I can act as a backup for the "beer truck" contingency. :end edit>

Thanks to the "Covers", I am comfortable with both arrangements:
Thread on Management Reps who are not the "QA Person"
Like a Consultant - Consultant as Management Representative - and the 40 Day Wonder Implementation!
Or an Independent Contractor - Who can be the Management Representative? Independent contractor?
Or even the CFO - CFO (Chief Financial Officer) as Management Representative
Thread on Contract Employees doing Internal Audit
or Outsourcing Interal Audit
and Internal Quality Audits and Contract Audits

Great Stuff, Folks :thanx:

Last edited:
A

Al Dyer

I guess my only concern would be an "internal" yet external auditor writing a procedure. Just a small concern and as long as you have sign-on by all involved, great!

Al...

S

Sam

Also the consultant cannot participate in the practice/certification or surveillance audits.
As for the contract auditor; he may looked upon as a supplier.

Define "external"

I am sure this will confuse those for whom English is a Second Language:

Our "consultant" is actually a contractor. He has a very specific contract that spells out his duties. For example: "Provide Guidance and Assistance with Development, Documentation and Implementation" as well as "Perform Initial Implementation of Internal Audit Function and Completion of a Comprehensive Internal Audit". In addition, he will be contracted to staff our Internal Audit function post-registration.

edit for Sam:
I used to have a Quality Engineer that ran my Internal Audit function. She would provide advice to the department managers, after the Audit, to assist them in compliance during corrective action. So what's the difference if my "consultant" is listed as "contracted internal auditor" on my org. chart?
:finish edit

We're better off with him writing and implementing the Internal Audit function. He's a trained Lead Assessor, earns a paycheck from several small companies staffing their Internal Audit function, and has published a book on Internal Quality Audit Systems. IMO, he's far more qualified than I am when it comes to Internal Auditing.

Last edited:
D

db

Icy Mountain said:
We're better off with him writing and implementing the Internal Audit function. He's a trained Lead Assessor, earns a paycheck from several small companies staffing their Internal Audit function, and has published a book on Internal Quality Audit Systems. IMO, he's far more qualified than I am when it comes to Internal Auditing.

In many cases, small companies are forced into having the person who developed the audit program also be the one who audits. The real conflict comes in when he/she has to audit the audit program. This can be done by having someone trained (who did not participate in writing the auditing program) to audit the audit program. Also, you can use results from external audits to verify your internal audit process. If internal and external audits seem to be consistent, then you have evidence that the program is working (providing other data doesn't point to both being off course).

Now I know why I like you

Thanks, dB. That explains why I'm getting trained/educated. He needs me to audit Internal Audit.

D

db

Icy Mountain said:
Thanks, dB. That explains why I'm getting trained/educated. He needs me to audit Internal Audit.

Based on your posts, I don't think much training is required (unless it is being conducted up at the Grand Hotel, then you probably need weeks, and weeks, and weeks :lol: )

S

Sam

Icy Mountain said:
I am sure this will confuse those for whom English is a Second Language:

edit for Sam:
I used to have a Quality Engineer that ran my Internal Audit function. She would provide advice to the department managers, after the Audit, to assist them in compliance during corrective action. So what's the difference if my "consultant" is listed as "contracted internal auditor" on my org. chart?
:finish edit

Icy,
You didn't indicate whether or your QE was a full time employee, but I will assume she was. If that is the case, then it is the QE's job to advise when possible.
As for your consultant; how you employ him/her is up to you. As a consultant they cannot participate in any auditing activities. Also as a consultant they would be considered as a supplier (see note 1 to 7.4.1 TS2) subject to the supplier quality management requirements.
As a contract employee they may or may not be allowed to participate in the audit.You would, however, need to list him/her in your training records.
You noted that the consultant was a "trained lead assessor". Was he trained in the automotive approach to auditing?
Finally, you have not said whether or not you have discussed this with your CB. If not,IMO you should.

Top Bottom