Johnson Thread View System - Measures many characteristics on a thread plug gage

T

TIMMYS - 2010

Hi All,

I need information from anyone that has or is familiar with using a Johnson Thread View Machine. This machine allegedly can measure many characteristics on a thread plug gage in less than three minutes with an accuracy of half a micron. We have had this machine for three years and I still haven't been able to use it as advertised. The problem I am having is that the machine uses a camera and collimated light to create an image of the thread. It locates on the lead thread and the back thread. Then it measures, calculates and creates a certificate of conformance. This would be great if the machine did not reject almost every thread plug (class x) that it measures.

If anyone has had or knows someone that has had this experience I would like to hear from them. I am also interested in hearing from anyone that has satisfactory comments/information as well.

Thanks,
TIMMYS

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Johnson Thread View System

The OP of this post seems to be a representative of the said organization. Perhaps you would want to try and get in touch.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Wow, Harry! How did you remember that little factoid? I am VERY impressed.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Wow, Harry! How did you remember that little factoid? I am VERY impressed.

You had me scrambling to the dictionary for the meaning of 'factoid'. It's events like these - with elements of Action (bizarre), Emotions or 'Stress' that help one to remember a particular word or event. Now, who's theory is that......

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

You had me scrambling to the dictionary for the meaning of 'factoid'. It's events like these - with elements of Action (bizarre), Emotions or 'Stress' that help one to remember a particular word or event. Now, who's theory is that......
So . . .
I guess it's safe to say you will remember the meaning of "factoid" for a little while?:D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Hi All,

I need information from anyone that has or is familiar with using a Johnson Thread View Machine. This machine allegedly can measure many characteristics on a thread plug gage in less than three minutes with an accuracy of half a micron. We have had this machine for three years and I still haven't been able to use it as advertised. The problem I am having is that the machine uses a camera and collimated light to create an image of the thread. It locates on the lead thread and the back thread. Then it measures, calculates and creates a certificate of conformance. This would be great if the machine did not reject almost every thread plug (class x) that it measures.

If anyone has had or knows someone that has had this experience I would like to hear from them. I am also interested in hearing from anyone that has satisfactory comments/information as well.

Thanks,
TIMMYS
Please report back to us whether Harry's tip helped you arrive at a satisfactory solution to your problem. If not, we'll try to dredge up some other experience to help you out.

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide

I will be very interested in the comments posted in this thread because the company that I work for specializes in thread gage sales. We sell for basically every thread gage maker in the USA and UK and one in Germany. Because of our specialization in thread gages we have been approached by Johnson Thread View Systems to promote their device.

We have received the sales pitch from JTV, but have never seen a demonstration of the machine. That is not a criticism of JTV. It is just an observation. I do not expect JTV to bring a machine to us, nor do I expect us to go and see it, all purely on a cost basis.

Before promoting a device like this, a break through in thread measurement technology, it would be nice to have multiple third party verifications that it works. I hope many Cove members, and users of the JTV machine, can respond to this thread.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the device. Can you fill us in on the problem resolution details? What steps have you gone through to get the machine to preform? What has the response been from JTV? Have they sent a technician? Who was the technician or JTV company contact? What is the company response to your problems? Do they consider the device working within design limits? Is the machine being used or is it just filling floor space?

I will send a link to this post to JTV so that they might provide some input.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I will be very interested in the comments posted in this thread because the company that I work for specializes in thread gage sales. We sell for basically every thread gage maker in the USA and UK and one in Germany. Because of our specialization in thread gages we have been approached by Johnson Thread View Systems to promote their device.

We have received the sales pitch from JTV, but have never seen a demonstration of the machine. That is not a criticism of JTV. It is just an observation. I do not expect JTV to bring a machine to us, nor do I expect us to go and see it, all purely on a cost basis.

Before promoting a device like this, a break through in thread measurement technology, it would be nice to have multiple third party verifications that it works. I hope many Cove members, and users of the JTV machine, can respond to this thread.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the device. Can you fill us in on the problem resolution details? What steps have you gone through to get the machine to preform? What has the response been from JTV? Have they sent a technician? Who was the technician or JTV company contact? What is the company response to your problems? Do they consider the device working within design limits? Is the machine being used or is it just filling floor space?

I will send a link to this post to JTV so that they might provide some input.
Well! Now I'm getting more interested in this thread [excuse the play on words] about threads.

Wayne rightfully points out there is little value in a "break through in thread measurement technology" unless it is workable and the seller provides support to assure customer satisfaction.

In my high tech machining business, the continual thread hassle we encountered was dealing with tapered threads. Both I and my customers would have welcomed a definitive method (other than juggling dozens of gages) to assure every thread we cut would work with every mating part. It was such a time-consuming task, we would have paid pretty big bucks to have a machine that would "routinely" shorten that time with a high degree of reliability and repeatability.

It seems to me good business sense to make every effort to put a "break through product" in the hands of folks who have a desire and need for such a product. My friend, Dale Dauten, "the corporate curmudgeon" continually talks about "WOMP" (Word of Mouth Potential) and its value to any marketing plan.

Heck, back just after WWII, Packard automobile dealers used to drive up to people's homes to offer them a test drive. My great uncle bought TWO and bragged about them even after the Packard Motor name was just a memory. It seems to me the natural market for this device would be gage makers and companies like mine which produced products with different threads every day of the year. If it were MY company producing this device, I would be assuring LOTS and LOTS of organizations had an opportunity to "test drive" the device under the supervision and tutelage of an experienced supplier.

T

TIMMYS - 2010

Thanks to all for the replies. However, only Wayne's reply actually talked about the JTV system. I still haven't heard from anyone else who owns one of these machines. First thing is that I am not saying that the JTV is not working properly. The second thing is that I did not recommend the purchase of this equipment. It was done without any of my input. I totally agree that buying new technology without any investigation or study is foolish. Apparently there are some foolish people within my organization. Anyway, we have had support from Johnson Gage on all of the issues. The problem lies within the fact that the JTV is meant to measure a thread without the tolerance issues created by the 3 wire measurement. It seems that every class X working thread plug gage is rejected for Pitch Diameter. Even newly purchased gages with certifications do not match. Johnson thread was given some thread members with our certifications and requested to test them on a JTV machine. They cannot match the measurement results and are returning the members to me with their data. I am still in hope that someone has this same machine and is enjoying the advertised benefits.

Regards,
TIMMYS

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
... we have had support from Johnson Gage on all of the issues.... Johnson Thread was given some thread members with our certifications and requested to test them on a JTV machine. They cannot match the measurement results and are returning the members to me with their data. I am still in hope that someone has this same machine and is enjoying the advertised benefits.
Hi TIMMYS;

I see that you have mentioned both "Johnson Gage" and "Johnson Thread". There are two companies with similar names, similar location, and both focus on thread measurement. There is: Johnson Thread-View Systems; and there is: The Johnson Gage Company. :caution:Please take care with the company name in this post because there is a rather high level of competition between the two companies. I assume here that in both cases you meant to say: Johnson Thread View Systems.

I am glad to hear that you are in communication with JTV and they are working with you toward resolution of your problems with the system. I encourage you to continue to work toward resolving your issues with JTV. Any mechanical device can have issues. Usually it just takes some time and communication to resolve the issues.

I spoke with JTV this AM and they told me that they have many happy customers and many systems in the field working satisfactorily. They also said that they were committed to resolving any issues that you may be experiencing.

As I said before, I hope that other users of the Johnson Thread View System respond and post their comments about this measuring device.

Top Bottom