Boeing Letter Re: AS9003 and ICOP - D6-82479, Boeing Quality Management System (BQMS)

V

vanputten

Hello All:

Has anyone else recently received a letter from Boeing with the subject: "D6-82479, Boeing Quality Management System (BQMS), Appendix B, (AS9003) Approval Phase Out?"

What did the letter mean to you?

Annually we are audited by Lockheed, sometimes JPL, STACK, etc.

Now I have this letter from Boeing and I have no idea what they are trying to say or require.

Who/what is ICOP and how does that fit into the program?

Thank you,

Dirk

Attachments

• Product Requirements For Sellers Of Boeing Designed Detail Parts And Minor Assemblies.pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 414
Last edited by a moderator:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
vanputten said:
Has anyone else recently received a letter from Boeing with the subject: "D6-82479, Boeing Quality Management System (BQMS), Appendix B, (AS9003) Approval Phase Out?"

What did the letter mean to you?

Annually we are audited by Lockheed, sometimes JPL, STACK, etc.

Now I have this letter from Boeing and I have no idea what they are trying to say or require.

I haven't, however:

It might help if a little more information is given like the scanned letter or some excerpts.

Coury Ferguson

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
After reviewing the QMS and ICOP: ICOP is sort of saying they recommend that the supplier get registered by this other 3rd Party, in my opinion.

This may be off topic:

Why are all these standards (QMS) and so forth continuing to change (continuous improvement)?

I originally thought that the ISO 9001:2000 was to be the standard for all types of industries, but the Automotive and Aerospace sectors decided to add specific requirements and made "new" standards. Maybe I am naive.

Couldn't these added requirements been flowed down via the Contract or Purchase Order?

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
vanputten said:

I have not seen the letter, but I know that it was coming. Many of Boeing's communications to suppliers are available in a couple of links: http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/doingbiz/supplier/index.html &
http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/doingbiz/letters.html

ICOP stands for Industry Controlled Other Party, which by the Aerospace OEM and Primes are willing to recognize accredited Aerospace QMS certificates issued by Registrars accredited to AS9100/9110/9120 by recognized Accreditation Bodies, such as ANAB, UKAS, INMETRO, etc...
ICOP Certification
The Boeing Company promotes and encourages suppliers to obtain Aerospace Quality Management System (AQMS) certification/registration from an accredited industry controlled other party (ICOP) as means of showing compliance to BQMS, Appendix A or B requirements (i.e., AS9100).
AS9003 which is basically Appendix B of the Boeing D6-82479 document is not part of the ICOP process, because most Aerospace organizations do not believe that a QMS tailored around Final Inspection and Test satisfies the needs for the Aerospace Supply Chain. To the best of my knowledge the only two large Aerospace organizations recognizing and invoking AS9003 in new contracts and programs are NASA and Lockheed Martin.

S

Sandra Shepard

Lockheed Martin AS9003 Requirement

We have received a letter from Lockheed Martin to inform us that we must be third-party registered to AS9003 and/or AS9006. I was not aware that registration was allowed for these. I thought they were supplements to AS9100.

It is also odd that they attached a list of registrars who will issue the registrations.

Has anyone received a similar letter? Is third-party registration to either of these supplements possible?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Sandra Shepard said:
We have received a letter from Lockheed Martin to inform us that we must be third-party registered to AS9003 and/or AS9006. I was not aware that registration was allowed for these. I thought they were supplements to AS9100.

It is also odd that they attached a list of registrars who will issue the registrations.

Has anyone received a similar letter? Is third-party registration to either of these supplements possible?
Accredited certification to AS9003 is possible. If you go to the ANAB website, you can search the registrars that are accredited for AS9003. By the way, AS9003 is NOT a supplement to AS9100. It is a stand alone standard.

AS9006 is a different story. There is NO ACCREDITATION SCHEME for AS9006. So, any statement of conformity would have to be a non-accredited one. It only makes sense that whomever you chose (if) to issue you an AS9006 statement of conformity, should be an AS9100 accredited registrar, as long as AS9006 is a supplement to AS9100.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
vanputten said:
As I mentioned before, I know of this letter but have not seen it. If someone, who received this letter, would be willing to scan and post a copy, I would appreciate.

Such communication letters are normally posted at at this Boeing website, but this one has not been posted yet.

S

Sleepless

Aerospace accredited

Thanks for posting this document. We're in the process of becoming AS9100/AS9006 certified with Boeing. We're almost complete and I haven't seen this letter yet.

Something of concern to me is the statement in the letter, "Boeing will only recognize certificates from aerospace accredited certification bodies."
I've done quite a bit of reading and have never heard of "aerospace accredited". Can anyone confirm that there is such a thing?

Top Bottom