Plug Gauge (Gage) Design

B

bolster55

Hello All,
The item to be sentenced is diam 6.5 max(mm). What should the female gauge size be, 6.5 -0.01?

Regards

J

JRKH

Hello All,
The item to be sentenced is diam 6.5 max(mm). What should the female gauge size be, 6.5 -0.01?

Regards

Confused here - Your title indicates a "plug gage" and then you ask about a "female" gage size. Forgive me if I've been out of the shop too long, but a "female gage sounds more like a "ring" gage than a "Plug" gage. :confused:

Are you trying to gage an internal dia or an external dia?

Anyway - Lets see if we can answer your concern.
Lets assume you are making an hole that you wish to check with a plug gage. The max allowable on the hole is 6.5 mm. So you wish to make a plug gage that will tell you if the hole is oversize. The gage needs to NOT go into a hole at 6.5 mm but will go into a hole that is 6.51. In this case, the gage can be made at 6.5 mm.

O the other hand if you are gaging an external dia with a max allowable dia of 6.5 mm then the ring gage needs to be slightly larger, say 6.51 mm.
If the gage is made at the same size as the dim, you have an "interferance fit" or "line to line" fit and this would cause/allow some good parts to be rejected.

Does this help?

James

B

bolster55

Thank you James,

"If the gage is made at the same size as the dim, you have an "interferance fit" or "line to line" fit and this would cause/allow some good parts to be rejected."

That is what I was after. The problem I have understanding is, from a manufacturing point, if the item is made size for size lots of good items will be rejected. In this age, machines such as CNC centers can machine to very tight tolerances and could very well make a majority of parts at size for size.

Thanks again for the reply.
Regards
Phil

B

bolster55

Hello Stijloor

No we don't have that standard, we use AS1100 (Australian)

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Thank you James,

"If the gage is made at the same size as the dim, you have an "interferance fit" or "line to line" fit and this would cause/allow some good parts to be rejected."

That is what I was after. The problem I have understanding is, from a manufacturing point, if the item is made size for size lots of good items will be rejected. In this age, machines such as CNC centers can machine to very tight tolerances and could very well make a majority of parts at size for size.

Thanks again for the reply.
Regards
Phil

Here is the 'Tolerance Chart' for plug gauges.

Hope this helps

Umang :D

Top Bottom