Definition Perishable tooling - Definition - Including PPAP Definition of Perishable tooling

D

duda_enns

Hi folks

It's my first time here.

I work in a fasteners company (bolts and nuts) and we are tier 2. We need to do PPAP to our customers. In the PPAP manual is writen that I have to notify my customer when I change any tool, except "perisable tools". My doubt is: what is "perishable tools"? This case is applicable in our case?

Thaks for help !

J

jmp4429

I think, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that this means replacement of wear tooling. So for example, notification wouldn't be required if you were replacing a screwdriver bit, or a cutting tool in a lathe, or a worn locating pin.

M

MikeL

Perish the thought

Yes you have to tell your customer when you are getting a new die to make a part with or doing (major) work on the existing die, press tool and so on.

Cutting blades - no.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
To elaborate slightly:

Perishable tooling is whatever is comparable to machine tool bits, drill bits, or saw blades, while non-perishable tooling is comparable to drill presses and power saws. Specifically "tool" when used in certain shops means a stamping die or a mold. These "tools" get refurbished (sharpened, cleaned, polished) as maintenance until they have to be replaced. The replacement of these "tools" is the replacement of "non-perishable tools," due to accident or wear after a long cycle of production and maintenance.

A change in design of a stamping or molded (cast) product requires new tool, not "replacement."

C

cncmarine

Wes has it pretty much right..but

Need more information regarding your process.

D

duda_enns

Hi,
More informations about our process: our products (bolts and nuts) are manufectered by conforming. During this process some tools wear out and we need to repleace this tool (die, drill bit, etc). We put other die with same material, dimension and shape. We use SPC under this characteristics to control this tools. Other tool make a hole to do thread in nut.
I cant to notifie my costumer every time that we repleace those tools because we repleace many times during a lot production.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
duda_enns said:
Hi,
More informations about our process: our products (bolts and nuts) are manufectered by conforming. During this process some tools wear out and we need to repleace this tool (die, drill bit, etc). We put other die with same material, dimension and shape. We use SPC under this characteristics to control this tools. Other tool make a hole to do thread in nut.
I cant to notifie my costumer every time that we repleace those tools because we repleace many times during a lot production.
Precisely! Almost always, perishable tooling is used to make threads in metal, whether they cut the thread or roll the thread.

Top Bottom