ISO 9001:2000 Clause 8.4 Analysis of Data - Quality Objectives and Analysis of data

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Quality objectives and analysis of data

Got a question for the group.

How many of you have set your quality objectives to be the items required in 8.4 "Analysis of Data"?

In other words, if the standard already requires you to collect data and analyse it, why not set objectives for those items.

I tried a search and couldn't find a previous discussion about this. Any comments or links are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
:bigwave:

CarolX

J

JLMorris

Carol
I remember asking a similar question about the data analysis and objectives being linked a few months ago, but I can't find the thread now. (I don't remember it getting much of a reply in the forum). It makes sense to me that you have objectives for the things that matter to you, and these are the things that you want to analyse data about. (Don't waste time on measuring things if you don't care what level you reach!)
The standard doesn't seem to link them, but these to parts seem to be very interlinked to me.
John

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Good morning, Carol!

We are doing some fine tuning now, and are taking the measurements we collect from each area, and identifying those that we use to support our strategic goals (quality objectives) and business plan. Is this what you were looking for?

Randy

Super Moderator
Just say that this is part of meeting the requirement for continual improvement as determined during a management review. Data has got to be used for something other than filling up spaces on paper.

CarolX

this is how it goes

I was just wondering if any of you saw this as I did.

"8.4 Analysis of data" gives you a list of what you should measure. "5.4.1 Quality objectives" says you will define objectives. So my little mind goes like this…..

We need to determine, measure and analyze data on customer satisfaction. On time delivery is extremely important to our customer. So I will establish a goal of 98% on time delivery, measure this, and analyze my results to see if we are satisfying the customer.

Baada-bing…..I kill both requirements with my little stone.

Am I off track here, or did I get it right?

:bigwave:

CarolX

P.S. Steel - and a Good Morning to you, too!!!!!

N

NYHawkeye - 2005

CarolX -

This is the approach we took and it went over well with the auditors. As far as paragraph 8.4 goes, I would recommend having a quality objective the ties directly to a), b), and d). Our auditor seemed to be looking for c) to be tied into corrective and/or preventive action.

I believe that careful selection of objectives and a decent CAPA system pretty much makes 8.4 a no brainer. :)

NYHawkeye

CarolX

thanks all

Thanks everyone for your input.

I thought I was on the right track here.

Regards,
CarolX:bigwave:

Top Bottom