Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I am calling you from Windows

"Yeah. What can you see?"
Screen-Shot-2012-10-03-at-1.09.56-PM.jpg

The linked to article explains it all.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
An offhand comment in the article about telemarketers [and scammers] ignoring the "do not call" strikes a responsive chord in me - I have been receiving about three unsolicited calls a week from obvious "con artists" as well as [apparently] local businesses which ignore the fact my phones are registered with "do not call."

Add to that the 100 political and "survey" calls and I barely have time to eat.

Anyone ever hear of successful action by government to prosecute one of these violators against "do not call?"

D

db

Anyone ever hear of successful action by government to prosecute one of these violators against "do not call?"

I read an article a few years ago about a Michigan man who used a state law to go after such people. In Michigan it is also illegal to begin a telemarketing call with an automated message (political and non-profits are exempt). According to the article, you can sue the violaters. This person would get enough information to sue, but settle out of court. He claims to be making about $60,000 a year doing such.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I read an article a few years ago about a Michigan man who used a state law to go after such people. In Michigan it is also illegal to begin a telemarketing call with an automated message (political and non-profits are exempt). According to the article, you can sue the violaters. This person would get enough information to sue, but settle out of court. He claims to be making about $60,000 a year doing such.
I'm aware that in MY state, the threat of a suit would not be enough to avoid a countersuit or complaint for extortion - one would actually have to FILE suit to settle. Proceeds from a lawsuit could be tax free under certain circumstances, but I have no idea how a settlement would be treated for tax purposes. The biggest question, of course, is actually tracking someone to serve (John Doe suits are worthless without a lead to where the money is to be seized.) Who would I sue for these calls which originate offshore?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Here's a good one that was recorded

*Best viewed in 1080 HD...

dsheaffe

Involved In Discussions
Coincidence is a funny thing. At the same time I was watching the nightly news here Down Under about the global crackdown on this scam, you wouldn't believe who I get a call from ....
"Good Evening this is Windows Technical Support ...."

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
I had the "I am calling you from Windows" from a guy in England.

I managed to keep him on the phone for about 30 minutes, it was great entertainment, he eventually hung-up on me :lmao:

AndyN

Moved On
I just received such a call this week! Since I use a Mac I knew what was going on. I work remotely on a vpn so I know better than to give information about my work pc over the phone, for example! I played dumb and strung the idiot along, telling him that I didn't know much about computers and he'd have to wait until my son got home - I tried to get a call back number but he wouldn't play. He actually called me back later to check if my son was home!

I figured it was better to mess with them, because at least they aren't spending time with someone they COULD scam...

Last edited:
M

mguilbert

I had the same call about a year ago. I too strung them along a bit. Near the end of the call I asked how I this worked when I had a Mac. Next thing I heard was a click.

Top Bottom