Must a vernier caliper and a rule be calibrated according to ISO 9001?

B

blue moon

Dear frined

are the

1- verney caliber " not digetal "

2- Ruler and metal meter

must be calibrated according to iso 9001:2008

or this can't be calibrated

=================================
there is a CNC machine for welding metal

are there any device in this machine must be clibrated ?

thanks

S

Sorin

Re: Must a vernier caliper and a rule be calibrated?

Are they used for any kind of acceptance, be it manufacturing steps related or final acceptance?

If the answer is yes, then they should...

B

blue moon

right photo for caliber

vernier caliper.jpg

B

blue moon

metal-meter tape rule.jpg

this photo for meter i mean

J

Jeff Frost

Vernier Calipers must be calibrated if it is used to verify product to requirements. Vernier Calipers predate dial and digital Calipers.

General purpose Tape Measures again must be calibrated if it is used to verify product to the requirements.

AndyN

Moved On

Dear frined <snip>

These questions (or similar ones) have been asked and answered here many times. Can I suggest that you either take a look at the bottom of this page for similar threads or do a search? This helps us to help you!

BradM

Leader
Admin

Dear friend:

are the

1- vernier caliper " not digital "

2- Ruler and metal meter

must be calibrated according to iso 9001:2008

or this can't be calibrated

Hello there!

I would recommend viewing this thread: Calibrating or Verifying Metal or Steel Tape Measures

It's long, but was a really good discussion with various sides.

In short, the need to calibrate this item (or any item for that matter) depends on what you use them for, and to what extent the results are used. If the reading matters, verifies acceptance to a part, assures compliance with a specification, etc., then I would verify it. If it is used to read something for a reference (close enough philosophy) and nothing is written down or whatever, then it does not need to be verified.

If you want to have it verified, I would find a competent calibration vendor near you and have them perform the services.

M

Mike_H

I agree that any piece of equipment used to "accept" product must be calibrated. Records of this calibration activity must be able to be retrieved as well.

...I remember a "story" I heard once of an auditor who wanted to see the calibration records for a 6inch metal rule he found on top of a mylar complete with part. The QA manager argued the rule was calibrated at the manufacturer and didn't need an independent calibration to be performed. Auditor disagreement ensured :)
So... the QA manager called the President of the rule manufacturer (quite a large company too who are well known for supplying measurement equip all over the world) at 3am local time and passed the phone to the auditor who promptly got an earful for even suggesting the rule was "out of calibration" and he'd be sued for liable if he took the matter further.... :)

what do you think the auditor did then? ... what would you do in his shoes?

S

Sorin

I agree that any piece of equipment used to "accept" product must be calibrated. Records of this calibration activity must be able to be retrieved as well.

...I remember a "story" I heard once of an auditor who wanted to see the calibration records for a 6inch metal rule he found on top of a mylar complete with part. The QA manager argued the rule was calibrated at the manufacturer and didn't need an independent calibration to be performed. Auditor disagreement ensured :)
So... the QA manager called the President of the rule manufacturer (quite a large company too who are well known for supplying measurement equip all over the world) at 3am local time and passed the phone to the auditor who promptly got an earful for even suggesting the rule was "out of calibration" and he'd be sued for liable if he took the matter further.... :)

what do you think the auditor did then? ... what would you do in his shoes?

Stop the audit and raise a major....The QA manager was abusing his position and authority

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Stop the audit and raise a major....The QA manager was abusing his position and authority

The funny thing is that same gage manufacturer is probably accredited to ISO 17025 now, for that same steel rule, because the TS certified companies were no longer allowed to accept them as calibrated. Eventually, Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc. all got certified. ...wonder if that same CEO is still there, and what he would say now...

By the way, I agree, the QA Mgr. is a blowhard...write a major for lack of committment to the standard requirements, and move on. I would also have a discussion with the QA Mgr., as to whether he wants the audit to proceed. I had a similar situation a few years back and it was ugly until the client realized my interpretations were correct. I refuse to audit a company that wants to play games, and will explain to the president why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom