Roles and Responsibilities with Suppliers for NC Parts

N

Nick-C

Hi All

I have an issue whereby we have no real clarification on who supposed to be doing what when it comes to dealing with defective supplied components.

Our quality guy raises the 8D, tells our logistics people of the concerns and the agreed actions and then leaves all the replacement stock management to them.

Our logistics team seem the think the quality department is responsible for managing the suppliers to ensure replacement stock arrives on time.

So my question is, what are the arrangements you guys are used to seeing?
I appreciate that upper management should decide this based on what's right for us, but who does what when it comes to managing replacement stock for non-conforming parts in your experiences?

Many Thanks

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JAltmann

IMO it is the logistics team's responsibility to ensure replacement parts are submitted by the supplier. In the event product is found to be non-conforming and unusable typically the accounting team then debits the supplier as if they still owe product against the PO.

In the event the non-conforming product is deemed usable to the purchaser then they would be placed into stock and the normal routine to pay the vendor would take place.

In your organization does quality dept handle logistics for conforming product? Basically whomever handles product logistics should handle it regardless of routine or replacement.

V

Vthouta

In general, buyer makes an RMA request to vendor on non-conforming parts. Based on the type of RMA or defective NC products, based on the intensity sometimes suppliers send us the replacement parts or quick turn by fixing the issues or allows to take credit and makes a request to scrap them at customer location.

In my company buyers makes sure the replacements are sent on time, as it drives more material for the purchasing team , so they try to stop getting excess material driven by the ERP system.

Vikram

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I would want the quality people involved in the replacement part acquisition. We get this constantly -- part rejected, need replacement, ship asap. Well we better figure what the problem is before we replace the parts. In many instances it is a misunderstanding on the customer side which causes the rejection, not ours. Having quality involved makes the process a whole lot simpler.

N

Nick-C

Thanks everyone I think we're on the right track from your comments but I wanted some opinions to back up what I'm about to propose.

I think we have weakness in our systems since we have had non-conforming stock sat waiting to be collected for weeks and now we have ran out of good stock because they haven't been replaced.

I think we need a system that captures / flags up when containment actions of the 8D's haven't been addressed in time. There's an 8D on our system telling us to have the parts corrected but everybody seems to have forgotten this.

Thank you all

Nick

V

Vthouta

This could be easily resolved if all the cross functional team members meet during MRB process at least once in a week and review all the NC products.

Top Bottom