Is there a certifiable Continuous Improvement system?

L

lokeky1

I know of individual CI competencies that are certifiable. What about a CI system?

Thanks in advance.

KY

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
KY,

Not to my knowledge.

Why not certify the whole management system instead of just a part of it?

Besides, the continual improvement process would need to work as part of a larger system to receive competent and capable resources and to provide it with something to improve.

Why do you ask?

John

L

lokeky1

Hi John, you highlighted some good points. To answer your question, why I asked? Its because someone asked me about "institutionalise" continuous improvement.

N

nealet01

Why not write up your system as a procedure and insert it into your ISO9001 system, that way it will be audited both internally and externally and also measured with KPI's?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi John, you highlighted some good points. To answer your question, why I asked? Its because someone asked me about "institutionalise" continuous improvement.

KY,

You could try instutionalizing yourselves the process: "investing in continual improvement" by:

1. Establishing improvement objectives
  2. Designing the process to achieve those objectives
  3. Investing in the resources necessary to run the CI process successfully
  4. Training facilitators of problem solving teams in Ford Global 8D or equivalent methodology
  5. Monitoring the teams learning the 8D as they practice on removing the root causes of future and existing problems
  6. Celebrating successes and learning from failures
  7. Auditing effectiveness and reporting results to top management
  8. Top management reviewing, making improvements as necessary and repeating the cycle
I say it is far better to do it yourselves instead of relying on a third party.

John

I

Illek

I have a question that relates to this. Our AS9100 company has recently started a Continuous Improvement dept along with our Quality dept. The CI dept reports to production. Their systems do not feed into the current Quality Management System. The AS9100 auditor has not observed the new dept since it started after our last audit. This hasn't been sitting well with me but I am low in the food chain. I am not sure if this is correct. It seems to go against Canadian regulations and AS9100 regulations but I am not sure. Is Continuous Improvement separate from Quality? Thoughts?:confused:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I have a question that relates to this. Our AS9100 company has recently started a Continuous Improvement dept along with our Quality dept. The CI dept reports to production. Their systems do not feed into the current Quality Management System. The AS9100 auditor has not observed the new dept since it started after our last audit. This hasn't been sitting well with me but I am low in the food chain. I am not sure if this is correct. It seems to go against Canadian regulations and AS9100 regulations but I am not sure. Is Continuous Improvement separate from Quality? Thoughts?:confused:

Illek,

I think you'll find that your organization is one system. Your organization's departments serve several processes and invariably these processes are cross-functional in that several departments are involved in their success.

The only way the "CI Department" can secure improvements is to work on the organization as a whole and with its processes, products and services. In reporting the Production Department it seems to me that the CI Section is focused on improving production processes. It is unlikely to achieve much success until it also improves the processes that serve production such as purchasing and designing products and processes. That would then leave the rest of the system to improve such as the recruiting and training process.

I suggest you consider reassigning ownership of your management system's process "investing in improvement" to the person who is the expert in CI. The System Manager (aka Management Rep) should work with this person to redefine the process for securing all types of improvement (instead of just CI) of the system, its processes and its products and services.

You cannot leave the work of the CI Section outside of the QMS. BTW, I call it a section because it operates within the Production Department.

Good luck,

John

Top Bottom