Machine Parameter Record Sheets

T

thekellyg

We are a plastic extrusion company. Our new manufacturing process will include a 'machine run parameters' sheet which documents several machine settings such as zone temperature, motor amperage and melt temperature during the production run. This sheet will be stored with the Work Order and engineering drawing as a Customer Record after the job is run. The Work Order and drawing are controlled documents, should this run sheet be as well? Thanks in advance!

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I believe the document should be controlled but that is only the form the written recordings go on.

The record should be kept as an 'official' document as well.

T

thekellyg

Thanks Michael_M! The intent is to have a folder of hard copies of this parameter sheet on the floor as some jobs will finish in one shift while others run for several days thus needing several sheets. Will they need to be marked as 'Controlled Copy' since they will be in an uncontrolled environment?

Michael_M

That depends on your procedures and/or the standard you are attempting to follow is written. To me, records that are 'in-process' are part of the work flow and would not need 'controlled copy' so long as the record(s) are maintained according to your procedure. By your description I am seeing the record to be part of the traveler/work order/work flow document and would follow that document to the end.

Again, it depends on how your procedure (and what standard you are following) is written.

slightly :topic: (this may or may not be what you are are explaining)
One of the issues I have been having at my place or employment is "what is the difference between a 'document' and a 'record'.

A document can become a record. The blank form is a 'controlled' document before anyone records information (or adds information to the form as an example).

A record cannot become a document (technically I guess this would be untrue but for my purposes, it works to explain the difference). A record is created when a document has additional data applied to it 'in-process' (what ever the process is). Records are handled differently than documents, the number of people who can authorized a document is limited. The number of people who can authorize (record on) a record is larger.

B

Bjourne

We have something like that in our company. Process Parameter Sheet which is attached to the Lot Traveller Card(all lots to be processed have this). This is a means of traceability for our PE department for customer verification. Parameters are based on what is indicated in the Control Plan. That "Process Parameter Sheet" is an official document. It is also reflected in the all products Control Plan under "Control Method".

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I am not clear from the OP:

Will this Machine Run Parameters Sheet be a place to RECORD the run parameters, or will it give INSTRUCTION as to what parameters to use?

If it is an instruction, control it.
If it is a place to record what parameters to use, it is pretty much up to you whether to control the blank form. Some do, some don't.

That the parameters get recorded is important (judging from your post), but it is up to you whether or not they should be in a controlled format.
I t seems from your OP that you do find this important.

The extruder won't care what form you use, nor whether it is controlled or not. The extruder and the product will only care that the correct parameters are used.
The instruction as to what parameters should be used should be controlled.

T

thekellyg

Thanks guys!

I've got a good grip on the difference between a document and a record and when the document becomes a record. I'm going to assign a document number to the Parameter sheet and have inside sales attach two to the Work Order (which comes back to me to be stored as a record when the job is completed). If the job runs more than 24 hours, the Quality Manager can provide them as needed for longer running jobs. :thanx:

T

thekellyg

Ninja, it will have BKM settings for the zone temperatures so from that perspective, it has an instruction aspect. The bulk of the page is to record the actual readouts as the job progresses so we have records of the process for each job.

Top Bottom