Explanation of Rule of Thumb (10:1) - Tolerance Zone or Digits Number

G

Gabiddon

Hello,

Could You give me some explanation of rule of thumb (10:1).

1. Does "rule of thumb" apply to tolerance zone or tolerance number of digits (or maybe both).

For example dimension:
5.5 +/-0.25
a) tolerance zone: 0.5
b) number of digits: 0.01

Rule of thumb:
a) 0.05
b) 0.001

Which way is correct? Point a) or b) ?

2. Is there any difference (in case of measurement) when we analyse two dimensons:

A) 6 +/-1
B) 6 +/-1.0

Kind Regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello,

1. Does "rule of thumb" apply to tolerance zone or tolerance number of digits (or maybe both).

For example dimension:
5.5 +/-0.25

Rule of thumb:
a) 0.05
b) 0.001

2. Is there any difference (in case of measurement) when we analyse two dimensions:

A) 6 +/-1
B) 6 +/-1.0

Kind Regards
Tom

Can someone respond to Tom's question?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello,

For example dimension:
5.5 +/-0.25

Rule of thumb:
a) 0.05
b) 0.001

Use the total tolerance, or "a" in your example.

2. Is there any difference (in case of measurement) when we analyse two dimensons:

A) 6 +/-1
B) 6 +/-1.0

Kind Regards
Tom
In both cases the total tolerance is 2. The 10:1 "rule" says that your gage tolerance (combining resolution and uncertainty) should be 10% or less of the total tolerance band of the thing being measured. Sometimes the "rule" is interpreted to apply to gage resolution irrespective of uncertainty. In your example of a tolerance of ±1, (a total tolerance of 2) the gage should resolve to .2.

G

Gabiddon

Use the total tolerance, or "a" in your example.

In both cases the total tolerance is 2. The 10:1 "rule" says that your gage tolerance (combining resolution and uncertainty) should be 10% or less of the total tolerance band of the thing being measured. Sometimes the "rule" is interpreted to apply to gage resolution irrespective of uncertainty. In your example of a tolerance of ±1, (a total tolerance of 2) the gage should resolve to .2.

And my point of view was the same, becouse for example tolerance ±0.45 is "more forgiving" than tolerance ±0,1.

But from other point of view when we have dimension 8±0.45, the result of our measurement shoud be written as X.XX (right?), so to be sure that we write correct value, gage must have .XXX accuracy. Is that true, what do You think?

Top Bottom