ISO 14001 Recertification without setting Targets

C

chujciwdupe

Hi!
I have question about iso 14001 and re-certification.

My company established environmental team (one person from each department). On team meetings we evaluate new significant aspects, targets and so on.

This team has not been updated for years. Most of people of this team left company. Additionally our company was sold to new owner, company structure has been changed, some people left their jobs too. Our environmental team shrunk much.

Recertification audit is coming up. There is no time to establish new team and train people.

And here is my question, if we dont establish new targets, evaluate aspects there will be a big problem for us to get certification?

Targets from previous year have been achieved. Management review is done.
Can I just prepare corrective action: establish new environmental team, train people, identify aspects and set targets?

Second question: there must be team to identify environmental aspects or can be just one person (environmental officer) who can do this job? People usually dont know about legal requirements, impact on envirionmental...

Best regards.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Recertification without setting targets.

Hi!
I have question about iso 14001 and re-certification.

My company established environmental team (one person from each department). On team meetings we evaluate new significant aspects, targets and so on.

This team has not been updated for years. Most of people of this team left company. Additionally our company was sold to new owner, company structure has been changed, some people left their jobs too. Our environmental team shrunk much.

Recertification audit is coming up. There is no time to establish new team and train people.

And here is my question, if we dont establish new targets, evaluate aspects there will be a big problem for us to get certification?

Targets from previous year have been achieved. Management review is done.
Can I just prepare corrective action: establish new environmental team, train people, identify aspects and set targets?

Second question: there must be team to identify environmental aspects or can be just one person (environmental officer) who can do this job? People usually dont know about legal requirements, impact on envirionmental...

Best regards.

chujciwdupe,

It appears that your process for bringing on new environmental objectives and targets is broken.

To me it suggests your process for determining significant aspects is also broken or neglected.

Right now your management system should have generated the corrective actions necessary to fix these weaknesses and to stop their recurrence.

Your recertification audit is not just about history, it must also inspire confidence in your organization's ongoing prevention of pollution and its commitment to continual improvement.

You've got work to do.

John

Last edited:
C

chujciwdupe

I am new in this company. It is my first audit. Identifying aspects, setting targets etc. were carried out every year. But, due to lots of changes in company, new onwer, new people (some people from team left their job like one-two months before audit) this job have not been done yet.

How can I prepare myself to "defence" certificate? One-two month and i could establish new team but now there is no time.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

chujciwdupe,

As the auditor you should not be responsible for corrective action.

Issue the corrective action requests to the top manager and offer to help his or her corrective action team.

The leader has to provide the inspiration and resources necessary to:

1. Reaffirm the policy
2. Determine the significant environmental aspects
3. Make stakeholders aware of the significant aspects and policy and obtain inputs to new objectives and targets
4. Establish, verify and monitor the related operational controls
5. Show progress in fulfilling the renewed objectives and targets
6. Continue to evaluate compliance and monitor effectiveness
7. Take action to stop recurrence and verify the effectiveness of these actions
8. Complete another cycle of internal audits
9. Review the performance of the management system
10. Set one or two new targets to deliver continued improvement.

Good luck,

John

Top Bottom