Horizontal Boring Machine Calibration

V

ValleyGirl

We would like to start calibrating/verifying our Machines. To do this we need a procedure for verifying the machine, for instance a Horizontal Boring Machine. Does anyone conduct their own machine calibration? We used to have the machines calibrated by an outside source - but this is becoming cost prohibited and we have found them not to be accurate.

I haven't a clue as to where to start. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

AndyN

Moved On
A horizontal boring machine isn't really "calibrated" or verified. What it most applicable is a capability study where you take a variety of features the machine is capable of producing across a size range. You run - under controlled conditions - ambient temp/heat soak etc a quantity of 50 parts and measure the feature(s). This is plotted as a (normal usually) distribution, to see how they compare to spec. This gives you an idea of repeatability etc. Don't forget that your measuring equipment may also have an effect on this result, so do a study on that too!

V

ValleyGirl

Andy -

Thanks for your reply. Good information. Do any other companies actually do their own repeatability studies?

K

kgott

We would like to start calibrating/verifying our Machines. To do this we need a procedure for verifying the machine, for instance a Horizontal Boring Machine. Does anyone conduct their own machine calibration? We used to have the machines calibrated by an outside source - but this is becoming cost prohibited and we have found them not to be accurate.

I haven't a clue as to where to start. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Go back to the documentation that came with the machine from the manufacturer, They should provide a document that contains all those sort of requirements. Look for an owners or users manual. Go back to them and ask them for the specifications for setting up, testing, using and maintaining the machines.

V

ValleyGirl

Go back to the documentation that came with the machine from the manufacturer, They should provide a document that contains all those sort of requirements. Look for an owners or users manual. Go back to them and ask them for the specifications for setting up, testing, using and maintaining the machines.
Thanks so much - That is just the kind of information I need. Like I said - I don't have a clue where to start,

Big Jim

Admin
Measuring tools need to be calibrated. It would seem a bit of a stretch to try to classify a boring machine as a measuring tool. Once set up for the job, the accuracy is checked by measuring the work with measuring tools, such as micrometers or a CMM.

V

ValleyGirl

Measuring tools need to be calibrated. It would seem a bit of a stretch to try to classify a boring machine as a measuring tool. Once set up for the job, the accuracy is checked by measuring the work with measuring tools, such as micrometers or a CMM.
I couldn't agree with you more, but our customers ask for a calibration record and would like it done by a third party. The company that was performing the "calibration" is now charging $1800.00 per machine and we have found that the method used is not really all that accurate.

AndyN

Moved On
I couldn't agree with you more, but our customers ask for a calibration record and would like it done by a third party. The company that was performing the "calibration" is now charging $1800.00 per machine and we have found that the method used is not really all that accurate.

You have a customer asking for something which shouldn't be done? Send them the bill! Seriously, if the request isn't in the contract, call Purchasing and tell them what it will do to the price.

Top Bottom