Octopus Walks on Land at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Well you just never know! (where's that face-palm emoticon when you need it?)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
One of my "drinking buddies" is a criminal defense attorney. One week, several of us (his friends) went to observe a relatively high profile trial he was defending. One of the witnesses against his client was particularly evasive under cross-examination, giving nothing which could conceivably aid the defense. We tried to commiserate with our friend over cocktails that evening.

He laughed and said, "Come for the closing argument tomorrow."

He wove the most interesting tale for the jury, so interesting that I remember it almost word-for-word nearly 20 years later.

"You remember Mr. [Jones] who testified against my client. No matter what I asked him directly, he always seemed to avoid my questions. I once went fishing in Florida and an octopus grabbed my bait and we pulled him aboard. The boat captain put him in a live box and we went on fishing. Five minutes later, we looked and there was the octopus out of the box and crawling along the deck. The captain scooped him up, put him back in the box and put a heavy box on the lid. Five minutes later, that darn octopus was back on the deck. This went on two more times until we finally gave up and threw the octopus back overboard. Mr. Jones and his slimy testimony reminds me of that octopus. He was desperate to avoid answering those questions with anything to help show my client's innocence. What dark secret was he hiding? If he couldn't be truthful about my questions, what else was he not truthful about?"
Our friend got his client off. He swears the octopus tale was true. Today, I know for sure, it probably is!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I saw that, and the first thing I thought of was "Dude! I know a shortcut!" :biglaugh:

Top Bottom