Training and Competence requirements in a Small Machine Shop

M

macshopkid

I work at a small machine shop (7 employees) and we are trying to get AS9100 certification. Currently we have no formal method of training, determining competence, or record of competence. You usually just get a basic overview and then if you don’t know something you ask questions (the employee description is the motion of punting:lol:). I am trying to figure out a way to meet the AS9100 requirements and create a system that will be beneficial and efficient. Obviously we desperately need a better training method.

I have designed a training form that shows the trainees name, job description, training method, and trainer name and date. Also on the form is a 30 day assessment portion with a section for evidence of competency and the person assessing. This is to meet 6.2.2 c) evaluate the effectiveness of actions taken.
I like the idea of levels of competence from limited understanding to highly experienced, but am not sure if this method would be overkill for us. On one hand it makes for a very robust system but on the other hand it requires more upkeep, maybe more than we need especially since most people do many different jobs affecting quality.

Does anyone have any advice, comments, critiques on this subject. I've looked around on the cove and found a couple ideas but some others would be nice. I know ultimately we will have to create a process that is tailored for our specific needs, but any comments are greatly appreciated. :)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good adfternoon macshopkid,

Your approach sounds good, at this point I would advise to keep it simple while your people get used to this new discipline and deploy it with consistency. As you move on your company may decide it wants levels of competency, but until then I would not complicate the system.

When yoiu looked around did you see the threads listed in the Related Threads at the bottom of this page?

H

Hodgepodge

You could create job descriptions for each position. You could then draw up a syllabus of sorts defining what core competencies and/or experience is required for each. Not necessarily each and every detail. Take more of a macro overview approach. In small shops where on-the-job training is the norm, the supervisor could take a look at the core competencies every so often (you decide how often) and check off items where trainees have shown mastery of content.

M

macshopkid

Thanks for the replies!:thanx:

I feel like I have a much better approach to this issue now. By taking out the competency levels for the time being and having more of a macro view I feel like we will have something that meets the standard and is appropriate and beneficial to our business:D.

Thanks again!

AndyN

Moved On
Mac - what types of competencies are you thinking should be demonstrated? Being from a (smallish) machine shop, myself, I'm interested in what level you've considered this important item from ISO.

M

macshopkid

Andy,

I am still working on the list of competencies and will need some input from other employees around the shop but the standard says work affecting conformity to product requirements. So right now I have started with some general areas such as CAD modeling, programming, operating, auditing, etc (we are a CNC machine shop). Then I go more in depth in those specific areas for example under operating I have each different machine and the subgroup for each of those is ability to setup fixture, ability to set tool length, etc.

B

Beauclan

Mac,

I have facilitated a machine shop AS9100 certification. We defined the job descriptions as you are describing. We did it by machine as well and identified the different levels of skills - operator and setup by machine. That way you can identify who is "qualified" to perform different operations on each machine. It's not such a big deal now, but as you grow (ie - after you get your certification) it may aid in scheduling your shop. Just keep in mind that you can use your job descriptions to define what you need, not necessairly what you have. It can be a big help in gap analysis as you start defining categories of work.

Wish you the best with it. Lots of opportunity in NC for AS9100 certified companies with the explosive growth of the aerospace and military business.

Kathy

Top Bottom