How Can I Document Rejections?

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello All -

Here is my current process for documenting rejections:

I log all the information into a list in an excel spreadsheet.
Then I complete an NCMR document which holds all same information.

I am wondering if an NCMR document is even really needed?

This is different from a CAR.

The NCMR document is purely to record the rejection of a product and what we did for disposition.

If all the information is covered in my log - do I really need to complete an NCMR document as well. I find this incredibly redundent and a waste of my time.

Thanks in advance,
Nikki

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How Can I Document Rejections

Would it be possible to use a database instead?

The database would act as both NCMR and your Excel listing, especially since both have the exact same information. I personally try to avoid using Excel for records due to the fact that I want to keep all records forever (I'm bad).

If your Excel and the NCMR have the same information, I would look to reduce the NCMR document. However, and you probably know this, you need to make sure your not violating your own company policies/procedure doing so. If you change and one of the procedures references the NCMR document, you will need to change the procedure.

NikkiQSM

Would it be possible to use a database instead?

The database would act as both NCMR and your Excel listing, especially since both have the exact same information. I personally try to avoid using Excel for records due to the fact that I want to keep all records forever (I'm bad).

If your Excel and the NCMR have the same information, I would look to reduce the NCMR document. However, and you probably know this, you need to make sure your not violating your own company policies/procedure doing so. If you change and one of the procedures references the NCMR document, you will need to change the procedure.

Thanks Michael!

Yes I am aware I would have to update our procedure (which would be my job anyways :) )

I also do not like Excel - but right now its what our system uses and has used for the last 15 years. We are moving forward with an ERP system, but that is over a year away and I am not sure how my documents are going to fit in with it right now.

So for the time being - I am trying to reduce the amount of work that I find to be unnecessary.

P

PaulJSmith

I agree that a database might be the way to go. However, don't be fooled; a database is really just a spreadsheet with a pretty face. The form view, though, could be your replacement for your existing NCMR form, provided the database is accessible to all who will need to use it.

S

Shaheen Alam

As long as you have CAR, you can use that for recording rejection. Creating separate NCMR can be avoided.

P

PaulJSmith

As long as you have CAR, you can use that for recording rejection. Creating separate NCMR can be avoided.
Do you really want to go through a complete CA process for every rejection?

... and welcome to The Cove, Shaheen!

Last edited by a moderator:

NikkiQSM

Do you really want to go through a complete CA process for every rejection?

... and welcome to The Cove, Shaheen!

My answer is no.. and honestly - we do not issue a CAR for every rejection.

If we see a trend of similar rejections, or if a rejection is due to someone doing something against procedure - then yes we open one.

But no, we do not issue a CAR with every rejection.

Top Bottom