Differences between a Safety Nonconformance and a Quality Nonconformance

N

njoynlf

What is the difference between a safety nonconformance and quality noncoformance? We identify most occurrences as safety issues, however, have difficulty separating out the quality issues?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: The difference between a Safety Nonconformance and Quality Noncoformance

What is the difference between a safety nonconformance and quality noncoformance? We identify most occurrences as safety issues, however, have difficulty separating out the quality issues?
What kind of safety are you referring to? product safety, flight safety, food safety, occupational health safety, etc.

N

njoynlf

Safety related to facility, construction, and OHS.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

Safety related to facility, construction, and OHS.

Based on your defintion of 'safety', I'd think that 'quality' issues would be those related to the product and maybe the process involved in making the product.

For example:

SAFETY - Employee standing in large puddle of water while operating high voltage equipment.

QUALITY - Equipment does not have the capability to manufacture product that meets the customers requirements.

SAFETY - As per OSHAS 18001, Clause xxx ....

QUALITY - As per ISO 9001, Clause xxx ....

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Differences between a Safety Nonconformance and a Quality Noncoformance

It depends on the procedures vs which you are assessing the compliance, the standard you are auditing ( OHASAS; ISO ) and management systems under the scope of the audit.
Take into account that safety non conformance could be also related to meet laws of the country.
If you perform internal audit in integrated manner, sometimes non conformity could be raised versus two analogue clauses of ISO 9001 or OHSAS or ISO14001.
You can also consult the reference table for this.:bigwave:

C

Chance

You can't issue a safety nonconformance if you don't have a proof or requirement from ISO specifying that it is a nonconformance. Unless you are auditing against OSHA standard. In other words, you can't issue a non-conformance if it has nothing to do with the manufacture of the product.

Safety non-conformance is the result after doing an audit against safety standard like OSHA.
Quality non-coformance is the result after doing an audit against quality system standard like ISO 9001.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chance

How could you provide proof that it is a nonconformance (safety) if the violation cited does not exist in ISO 9001 standard? The auditee won't accept that finding.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

How could you provide proof that it is a nonconformance (safety) if the violation cited does not exist in ISO 9001 standard? The auditee won't accept that finding.

It could be if you are auditing product realization process and an internal procedure cites particular safety requirement and the organization does not follow it or is not cuurently in compliance.
For instance, if you are auditing maintenance process and the operative procedure states that the technician shall use a particular dpi ( for instance a protective mask or ad hoc gloves) and this requirement is not done or known, you can raise a non conformity even though you are auditing vs ISO 9001 because a procedure belonging to the QMS is not currently followed as specified.
As I said in my previous post, this could also be a violation vs OHASAS clause.
There is a reference table to indicate the correspondence between ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001.
THis is an opinion of mine,hope to hear other covers.:bigwave:

Last edited:
K

kgott

Sorry Sidney; I can’t agree with that. In my view ISO 9001 is a framework for managing business processes therefore it can be applied to any management system, including product safety, OH&S etc.

In my view a non conformance is a non-conformance irrespective of type. There can be OHS non-conformances relating to company procedures (safety), legislative requirements, customer requirements and national standards. There may also be others.

In my view all non-conformances should be managed in exactly the same way if possible, in order to grow a systematic approach to managing organisational problems.

I encourage all our people to report and manage any kind of issue by recording and managing the issue from our monitoring and measurement data base. I tell our people, that the data in this data base is what management use as a basis for identifying opportunities for improving things.

Non conformances are just another type of issue that needs to be managed.

Top Bottom