How to Measure Chamfer Angles

J

jdm2008

I"m interested in measuring the chamfer angle on a part. How would I go about doing this. With basic shop tools, I don't have access to a optical comparator or a chamfer gauge.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I"m interested in measuring the chamfer angle on a part. How would I go about doing this. With basic shop tools, I don't have access to a optical comparator or a chamfer gauge.

Because "chamfer" is used incorrectly sometimes, it would be good if you could describe what you're trying to measure and how large it is. Tolerance is important as well. If you're just trying to verify the angle, a simple bevel protractor should work.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
If the chamfer is 45 degree's, you can measure the height and width of the chamfer, they should be the same. It is not the most accurate method but if you don't have anything else. If the angle is not 45 degree's, you will have to calculate the angle based on the height and width. The formula for solving a right triangle is what you will be looking for.

The following is an obvious note if you know it, but if you don't...... Remember to measure the height and width segments. If you measure two diameters and take the difference, you have to remember to divide by 2 as you want to deal in radius not diameter.

D

Dooglas

Could the use of the 45? portion of a combination square also be used to verify a 45? chamfer?

T

True Position

It's hard to answer without knowing the tolerance required.

Top Bottom