Best Caliper for Shop Use? Digital vs. Dial Caliper vs. Vernier-type

L

Lundberg

I've discovered that our "standard" for purchase has been a China no name that isn't worth the shipping price we paid.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new caliper standard for purchase, a caliper that will be used by operators for in-process inspection purposes and hold up in their environment. Currently I'm leaning towards dial but could consider digital. We found a great deal on SPI, is anyone using these calipers?

My concerns on digital is unable to hold a zero calibration.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Best caliper for shop use?

I've discovered that our "standard" for purchase has been a China no name that isn't worth the shipping price we paid.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new caliper standard for purchase, a caliper that will be used by operators for in-process inspection purposes and hold up in their environment. Currently I'm leaning towards dial but could consider digital. We found a great deal on SPI, is anyone using these calipers?

My concerns on digital is unable to hold a zero calibration.

In a manufacturing environment, the dial calipers do not hold up well. The "rack and pinion gear" get easily contaminated and damaged.

My preference would go to a vernier-type caliper (provided people can read vernier scales) or the digital-type.

Stijloor.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

I have had good luck with SPI micrometers. Never tried their calipers.

T

Ted Schmitt

In a manufacturing environment, the dial calipers do not hold up well. The "rack and pinion gear" get easily contaminated and damaged.

My preference would go to a vernier-type caliper (provided people can read vernier scales) or the digital-type.

Stijloor.

We use Mitutoyo brand vernier-type also... they hold up quite well in our machine shop

K

Kevin H

We used Fowler digital calipers (and also their digital micrometers) for the mechanical testing lab I supervised - they seemed to be fairly robust. Of course dropping them on the floor was not good for them. My concerns with vernier style would be ability of operators to read them, and being more time consuming to get that "last significant place".

I've had good luck with measuring equipment (micrometers, gage blocks, & dial indicators) from both Starrett and Mitutoyo, and no real experience with the SPI.

T

Ted Schmitt

We used Fowler digital calipers (and also their digital micrometers) for the mechanical testing lab I supervised - they seemed to be fairly robust.

Kevin,

We used to have some Fowler calipers which I brought down from the US and they did not last as long as my Mitutoyo´s... I eventually spent a few more $ and bought more Mitutoyo´s... but then, I guess it all depends the use and conditions of their use

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
Depending on the size of your part, we use 12" Mitutoyo dial calipers and 8" Mitutoyo digital calipers. Brown & Sharpe are good quality, Fowler are ok, don't think much of SPI.

Vernier are better for old time setter/operators, most of our younger ones don't know how to read them. We found early on that although they last longer than dial calipers, the frequency of read errors were much higher.
With digitals there are very little errors at all. If they get hard use I'd go with dials as thery are cheaper to replace.

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
There are a few brand names that I've seen pretty universally as the "good" units: Mitutoyo, L.S. Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Fowler. Of those, I believe Mitutoyo and L.S. Starrett I've seen the most used in professional precision applications. If you go to either of those websites, there is quite a wide array of very accurate instruments. And, as always, my disclaimer that I don't have a financial interest in any. This is provided as information.:)

R

ralphsulser

We have been switching everything to digital calipers and micrometers. Mostly Mitutoyo, but lately there seems to be an issue in getting them.

When I first came in here in 2001, most all calipers and mics were vernier. Old ones brought in by the Japanese management. OK for experienced Japanese ooperators, but way too difficult to read for people who have never even been in a factory before. We didn't have much confidence in the accuracy of the documented readings.
Digital measuring devices make a big difference for operators to understand, quicker, and simpler.(KISS)

L

Lundberg

I agree with vernier being the best but my operators have difficulty reading them. Dials have not been holding up will as foreign material enters the rack. I've been putting near new looking dial calipers into the trash can. Not worth repairing.

Top Bottom