Is there age of part requirement for PPAP?

C

cavrdave

Is it permissible to use parts from 2012 inventory for a customer ppap? I can't remember if the parts had to be made within the last 12 months or if it was that your required to submit ppap if you haven't shipped part in the past 12 months. Thanks for all your help.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Is there age of part requirement for PPAP

Is it permissible to use parts from 2012 inventory for a customer ppap? I can't remember if the parts had to be made within the last 12 months or if it was that your required to submit ppap if you haven't shipped part in the past 12 months. Thanks for all your help.

In general, the data submitted must be no more than twelve months old. If, for example, you have material or performance test data from testing done three years ago, it probably won't fly.

Also, your process and dimensional data must be based on measurements made during or as a result of a "significant production run." Your best course of action would be to talk to the customer and find out what's expected, and get it in writing.

L

lk2012

Hi,
I'd recommend doing a new run (when your customer places the next order or when you have an order for these parts from another one) and using that run to produce a new PPAP.
According to the AIAG standard, any tooling that's been inactive for 12 months or more must be re-evaluated on a new PPAP.
I'd recommend checking with your customer.
Lil

C

cavrdave

Does the 12 months still apply to sub-assembly parts that were cut on a waterjet machine in 2012 that has been active since that time? The parts in question are sub-assemblies that will be used in the final product being built next month. Where I need clarification is when I think of tooling I think of dies used on a press that could change from damage or conditions more so than consumable parts on a water jet that has been producing good parts from back when these parts were made.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Does the 12 months still apply to sub-assembly parts that were cut on a waterjet machine in 2012 that has been active since that time? The parts in question are sub-assemblies that will be used in the final product being built next month. Where I need clarification is when I think of tooling I think of dies used on a press that could change from damage or conditions more so than consumable parts on a water jet that has been producing good parts from back when these parts were made.

If you're accustomed to doing PPAPs for a variety of customers, you know that the requirements for each one are different, and often differ from what the AIAG manual says, and sometimes what their own supplier quality manuals say. Sometimes what's been approved in the past by a customer isn't even a good barometer for what will be approved in the future.

As a guideline: if subassemblies or components have been approved in the past, either on their own or as part of assemblies, it's usually enough to put a copy of the approval (the signed PSW) in the submission for the present part/assembly. When in doubt, ask the customer. Explain the situation and what you propose to include in the new PPAP, and go from there.

Top Bottom