ASQ Quality Management Journal Vol. 17 Total Quality Management (TQM) Comments Wanted

C

Chance

:)Hi,

I have read ASQ: QMJ volume 17 and found some good information as below:

The main focus of this edition is about Total Quality Management (TQM) and how it impact to organization’s performance since quality procedures have shown to reduce product cost and positively impact organization’s performance.
Research on the link between the two though, varies: quality procedures may not consistently result in positive outcomes.
1. Quality Management Practices
2. Organization Performance
So, researchers did research pertaining to these two seemingly contradictory perspectives. They choose to focus their research in healthcare industry since TQM in healthcare is critical not only to the world's economy but because healthcare quality directly impacts patient’s outcomes.
Researchers conducted surveys and indicated specific questions to measure each of the constructs of interest ex: quality context, quality practices, environmental uncertainty, etc.

Results of the study indicate that managers need to understand and identify the factors that impact organization’s performance. The scope of the organization’s quality activities needs to be very broad and encompassing.

Please share your own thoughts and comments also. I am excited to know what is your opinion with regards to this topic.

Thanks,
Chance

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: ASQ Quality Management Journal Vol. 17 Total Quality Management (TQM) Comments Wa

:)Hi,

I have read ASQ: QMJ volume 17 and found some good information as below:

The main focus of this edition is about Total Quality Management (TQM) and how it impact to organization’s performance since quality procedures have shown to reduce product cost and positively impact organization’s performance.
Research on the link between the two though, varies: quality procedures may not consistently result in positive outcomes.
1. Quality Management Practices
2. Organization Performance
So, researchers did research pertaining to these two seemingly contradictory perspectives. They choose to focus their research in healthcare industry since TQM in healthcare is critical not only to the world's economy but because healthcare quality directly impacts patient’s outcomes.
Researchers conducted surveys and indicated specific questions to measure each of the constructs of interest ex: quality context, quality practices, environmental uncertainty, etc.

Results of the study indicate that managers need to understand and identify the factors that impact organization’s performance. The scope of the organization’s quality activities needs to be very broad and encompassing.

Please share your own thoughts and comments also. I am excited to know what is your opinion with regards to this topic.

Thanks,
Chance

Any thoughts and comments for Chance?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

D

Duke Okes

Re: ASQ Quality Management Journal Vol. 17 Total Quality Management (TQM) Comments Wa

I don't place a lot of faith in survey research, as it is based primarily on opinions. Would need some real objective, measurable factors in order to know whether the findings are useful

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Any thoughts and comments for Chance?
It is hard to take it seriously. TQM in HealthCare? Healthcare can not spell quality. One of the most dysfunctional sectors in our society. Preventable errors don't get prevented. Low hanging fruits rot away.

I wonder what useless survey ASQ will come up with next? Quality Circles in the previously-enjoyed automobile sector?

D

Duke Okes

It is hard to understand why the industry cannot improve significantly very fast, given that all hospitals & doctors are dealing with the same raw material ... the human body. The industry has often used the excuse "we don't make widgets," but makers of widgets sometimes make them out of wood, sometimes plastic, sometimes electronics, sometimes metals ... So not only are the widgets of significantly different design & function, but the processes used to make them are significantly different. Yet they make great strides in improving their product/processes/cost structure.

Since all healthcare is dealing with the human body, and largely the same generic processes, they should be able to make gigantic improvements simply by finding the organizations which do significantly better than others, and copying/adapting the same practices/processes. But instead, they each treat their own organizations as if it were a silo operating all on it's own. Absolutely insane.

They are basically where the automotive industry was in the late 70's & early 80's. They likely believe they are protected from competition, since most folks are treated near where they live. But more and more folks are doing medical tourism ... going overseas where the same treatment can often be gotten at a fraction of the U.S. cost ... and they get a free vacation out of it.

Many overseas physicians were trained in the U.S. and the same equipment capability is relative easy to acquire regardless where they're located. I believe we'll continue to see more and more of it.

Next? The education industry, which is going to be significantly out performed very soon by internet-based learning. Whether it's home schooling or other entrepreneurs, based on the rankings of US high school graduates compared to other countries, there's a change a'coming.

C

Chance

Great discussion here. Thanks to all!

:2cents: I am just wondering how much mistakes could happen if there is no TQM in healthcare industry.
Yes research based on surveys is not good enough and there should be more clear specific and measurable strategy that needs to be done. Problem is whether they (healthcare folks) are trying to implement a new strategy nobody knows if it is good enough, especially when a patient (under experiment) dies. I believe everything that doctors do is all trial and error. Proper screening protocol/methodology is still at a very weak stage. Validation is not there either.

P

pthareja

Great discussion here. Thanks to all!

:2cents: I am just wondering how much mistakes could happen if there is no TQM in healthcare industry.
Y.

Dr Joseph Juran on his 102nd birthday had exhorted healthcare sector to wake up and avoid preventable errors.

Healthcare sector does not allow mistakes (with high severity) to happen frequently. A conked patient is no longer pained.

R

RosieA

Interestingly, our small community hospital has a Director of Continuous Improvement and an active TQM program. you can see bulletin boards in every department related to what that department is working on.

How successful it is, I don't know, but I'm encouraged to see the bulletin boards.

P

pthareja

our small community hospital has a Director of Continuous Improvement and an active TQM program.

Engaging a director on CQI and onto TQM is a pointer to better beter health-care attitude ahead.

It will be worthwhile sharing some perceptible gains.

Also the link to any unclassified info available on the net?

Thank You
Priyavrat

Top Bottom