AS9100 Auditor Career Path Options

S

SEAKate

Hi all - new(ish) to the Cove, so my apologies if I break any etiquette.

To the point - I am looking to become a 3rd party auditor for AS9100. I see it's in demand, and am willing to do legwork and/or take a few setbacks if needed in order to do so.

I passed the AATT back in 2013, and have worked as QA/Internal Auditor at an avionics co since 2004. I was exploring various CB's as an entry point after AATT. My hope was the standard "AATT + 20 hours of auditing + 1 audit log file = certification"

I talked to one representative at a CB who explained that, because I worked more with Software and Database than hands-on manufacturing, that it would be a tough sell for me to get in the door at their place, and likely industry-wide. Due to that, as well as the company I was working for requiring more of my time, I placed pursuit of External Auditor position on hold. Not a smart move, upon reflection, but c'est la vie.

2 years later, and situation has now changed where I want to pursue again. But now I'm faced with new concerns, and time is ticking on getting auditing hours in.

So, here are my questions:

1) Was the CB representative correct? Do I have a tougher road to follow from a CB POV because I was more software/database focused at my full time job? We did build units, and I was oh-very-much familiar with the process, being the internal auditor that I was, but IA was only about 20% of my job responsibilities.

2) How do I get my 20 auditor hours in when I don't know that many people in the industry, even in my region (Seattle)?

3) Because I waited 2 years to get 20hrs, what risks will I need to mitigate if I start pushing the 3 year mark on the AATT cert?

4) Any other tips, tricks, and advice that you could provide? All would be welcome as I create my game plan.

Many thanks in advance,

-Kate

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: AS9100 Auditor Path - Options?

Different certification bodies may require more than the minimum depending on how much they 'need'. I just took the AS9100C Lead Auditor Course so the following is based on this:

The instructor said that if you do not have the required hours that you can have a certified lead auditor perform the audit along side, however you (personally) will pay for their time.

If you need additional 'audit' time, are there any small/medium shops around you that would be willing to let you perform internal audits on them for a minimal fee. I think you would require some 'verifiable' method to show you performed audits and a 'contract' should do this. If you are looking to just get hours in training, and you are willing to perform the internal audits without breaking the bank, a small/medium shop may be willing to work with you. I know around my area we do things similar to this between companies but it may be a local thing (we will inspect someone else's part for example).

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Hi all - new(ish) to the Cove, so my apologies if I break any etiquette.

To the point - I am looking to become a 3rd party auditor for AS9100. I see it's in demand, and am willing to do legwork and/or take a few setbacks if needed in order to do so.

I passed the AATT back in 2013, and have worked as QA/Internal Auditor at an avionics co since 2004. I was exploring various CB's as an entry point after AATT. My hope was the standard "AATT + 20 hours of auditing + 1 audit log file = certification"

I talked to one representative at a CB who explained that, because I worked more with Software and Database than hands-on manufacturing, that it would be a tough sell for me to get in the door at their place, and likely industry-wide. Due to that, as well as the company I was working for requiring more of my time, I placed pursuit of External Auditor position on hold. Not a smart move, upon reflection, but c'est la vie.

2 years later, and situation has now changed where I want to pursue again. But now I'm faced with new concerns, and time is ticking on getting auditing hours in.

So, here are my questions:

1) Was the CB representative correct? Do I have a tougher road to follow from a CB POV because I was more software/database focused at my full time job? We did build units, and I was oh-very-much familiar with the process, being the internal auditor that I was, but IA was only about 20% of my job responsibilities.

2) How do I get my 20 auditor hours in when I don't know that many people in the industry, even in my region (Seattle)?

3) Because I waited 2 years to get 20hrs, what risks will I need to mitigate if I start pushing the 3 year mark on the AATT cert?

4) Any other tips, tricks, and advice that you could provide? All would be welcome as I create my game plan.

Many thanks in advance,

-Kate

Kate;

There should not be a problem getting your certificate but you must get your audits in. One of the best way is to perform 2nd party audits.

Go to Exemplar.com and get the requirements and find out what you are missing. If you need additional assistance - PM me.

Hurry up before they change the rules again,

S

SEAKate

If you need additional 'audit' time, are there any small/medium shops around you that would be willing to let you perform internal audits on them for a minimal fee. I think you would require some 'verifiable' method to show you performed audits and a 'contract' should do this. If you are looking to just get hours in training, and you are willing to perform the internal audits without breaking the bank, a small/medium shop may be willing to work with you. I know around my area we do things similar to this between companies but it may be a local thing (we will inspect someone else's part for example).

Without sounding like a complete Pollyanna, is there an effective means of finding these types of shops?

S

SEAKate

Kate;

There should not be a problem getting your certificate but you must get your audits in. One of the best way is to perform 2nd party audits.

Go to Exemplar.com and get the requirements and find out what you are missing. If you need additional assistance - PM me.

Hurry up before they change the rules again,

Thanks for the info. I will PM you soon. Apparently I need to do more postings at this point before I can do so.

Michael_M

It may take a bit of research but I would start with the OASIS database and see if you can filter to companies that are located in your general area. Then I would use the internet to find a phone number/website to see if you can find any details about the company before contacting them.

S

SEAKate

Ah. Thanks Michael! Great idea.

DannyK

I believe there is a demand for your skill set.
If you send me a PM, I can introduce you to a decision maker at a certification body.

Good luck,

Danny

Top Bottom