Statutory and regulatory requirement examples in metal fabrication

N

Neil V.

I understand this will vary from location to location and from product to product, but was wondering if anyone could give some 'common' examples of...

per ISO/TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1 (c). 'statutory and regulatory requirements related to the product'

Product is automotive in nature, mostly steel, stampings and weld assemblies. Location is Michigan, USA if that matters. Reason for asking is recently our traceability has been called into question (7.5.3).

For example, Chrysler. It doesn't appear that they require traceability of product (in their customer requirements)(aside from being able to show that the material meets their spec--heat numbers not required), but perhaps there is a regulation that says it is needed for automotive body or engine components?

Statutory and government regulations that, in my opinion, aren't directly tied to the product may include things like:
  • Utilization of small business concerns
  • Equal opportunity
  • Equal opportunity for special disabled Veterans, Verterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible Veterans
  • Affirmative action for workers with disabilities

These items (and any other applicable) must be followed, of course. But, back to the original question, are there any 'common' regulations specific to a product that should be addressed during APQP or Contract Review?

Sorry if this reads scattered. My overall uncertainty in the matter caused me to put in a few pointed statements to see if they get a reaction.

B

BadgerMan

Re: Statutory and regulatory requirements, examples in metal fabrication

When I think about statutory and regulatory requirements related to automotive product, I immediately think FMVSS.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

Don't forget about OSHA and EPA.

AndyN

Moved On

When I think about statutory and regulatory requirements related to automotive product, I immediately think FMVSS.

I agree. It's unlikely that there are any other regs. At this end of the supply chain, most of the regs are going to be pretty minimal, anyway.

To help me out, Carol, what OSHAS or EPA regs and so forth would apply to metal stampings?

CarolX

To help me out, Carol, what OSHAS or EPA regs and so forth would apply to metal stampings?

I don't know about stamping but a few for sheet metal fabrication regs might be:

Safety requirements such as foot protection, eye protection, hearing protection. Machine set-ups, such as press brake forming, there is a maximum pinch point between the punch and die, that if exceeded requires secondary equipment activiation buttons.

EPA may require special disposals of cutting fluids if parts are cut on a plasma table or water jet - again - sheet metal frabrication - may not apply to stampings.

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On

I don't know aout stamping but a few for sheet metal fabrication regs might be:

Safety requirements such as foot protection, eye protection, hearing protection. Machine set-ups, such as press brake forming, there is a maximum pinch point between the punch and die, that if exceeded requires secondary equipment activiation buttons.

EPA may require special disposals of cutting fluids if parts are cut on a plasma table or water jet - again - sheet metal frabrication - may not apply to stampings.

To clarify, are these 'product' regs etc. the way the standards intend us to apply them? It looks (to me) like they are product independent.

R

ralphsulser

We manufacture machined gears and apply rust preventatives in our final washer operation, and then spray another rust preventative lubricant on each part as packed. These are shipped to our automotive customer and each part has an IMDS and MSDS documentation on file, and supplied with the PPAP submissions.

CarolX

To clarify, are these 'product' regs etc. the way the standards intend us to apply them? It looks (to me) like they are product independent.

Sorry - me bad - I did not fully read the OPs post about TS and the requirements. I was thinking of the ISO clause about "other requirements". Thanks, Andy.

N

Neil V.

Last edited by a moderator:

angieharmeson

Registered
I understand this will vary from location to location and from product to product, but was wondering if anyone could give some 'common' examples of...

per ISO/TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1 (c). 'statutory and regulatory requirements related to the product'

Product is automotive in nature, mostly steel, stampings and weld assemblies
. Location is Michigan, USA if that matters. Reason for asking is recently our traceability has been called into question (7.5.3).

For example, Chrysler. It doesn't appear that they require traceability of product (in their customer requirements)(aside from being able to show that the material meets their spec--heat numbers not required), but perhaps there is a regulation that says it is needed for automotive body or engine components?

Statutory and government regulations that, in my opinion, aren't directly tied to the product may include things like:
  • Utilization of small business concerns
  • Equal opportunity
  • Equal opportunity for special disabled Veterans, Verterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible Veterans
  • Affirmative action for workers with disabilities

These items (and any other applicable) must be followed, of course. But, back to the original question, are there any 'common' regulations specific to a product that should be addressed during APQP or Contract Review?

Sorry if this reads scattered. My overall uncertainty in the matter caused me to put in a few pointed statements to see if they get a reaction.
I'm really struggling with this requirement too. We do hot stamping also how are you meeting it in your process?

Top Bottom