Calibration Laboratory Temperature of 20?C ?1? C & Laboratory Personnel

SATHYABALARAMAN

Involved In Discussions
The lab temperature for calibration lab / CMM to be maintained at 20?C ?1? C. Our normal temperature is 28 to 35 ?C.

When the lab personnel are exposed to a temperature of 20? C for about 8 hours & comes to normal temperature, will this temperature difference affects them? How? and what can be done to help them?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Lab temperature & lab personnel

I think people will cope. However, in areas with higher temperatures (UK is not one of them) where you get modern shopping malls and supermarkets they must have the same issue. People have the choice to go elsewhere but don't.

With this issue at the workplace they don't really have a choice other than chaange jobs if they can. Not a case of tought luck but a case of people will get over it. I'm sure I'd be glad of the nice temperature for those 8 hours, but then I'm from the North west of England and if it ever gets that hot it means it's raining (warm, wet air from the SW, i.e. Atlantic).
PS it got up to 36.7 degrees Celsius in the UK once. That was a serious time, people were actually becoming ill and I think some vulnerable (old) people died. We are not used to high temperatures compared to other areas. If it was the case of this issue in the UK it would be more serious but if you are used to high temperatures I'm sure the coooler 20C would be a nice relief. I have no evidence to back this opinion up but it would be my feeling if I worked there.

T

tamale

Well, in Canada 20 degrees is normal temperature for office workers.

The question is simply one of acclimatization, 20 degree temperature presents no danger at all. Your employees simply are not used to it. You may want to provide them with a smock to wear and they will be fine. As a general rule it take 3 week for the human body to acclimatize itself to a new environment, so stick to the smock and they will be fine.

For curiosity sake, do you think that using your CMM at 35 degrees invalidates calibration due to thermal expantion?

Tamale

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
People will adjust. Any effects will be momentary, and going into the cooler will have more effect actually until the prople start moving around to stay warm.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Well, in Canada 20 degrees is normal temperature for office workers.

The question is simply one of acclimatization, 20 degree temperature presents no danger at all. Your employees simply are not used to it. You may want to provide them with a smock to wear and they will be fine. As a general rule it take 3 week for the human body to acclimatize itself to a new environment, so stick to the smock and they will be fine.

For curiosity sake, do you think that using your CMM at 35 degrees invalidates calibration due to thermal expantion?

Tamale

I think the OP is referring to a temp/humidity controlled lab and a non-controlled factory work area. It's 20?C (68?F) in the lab while it might be 35?C (95?F) outside the lab, and he's concerned about the sudden change in ambient temperature for people who spend all day in the lab.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
yes, exactly. The sudden difference in temperature 20?c to 35?C will this affect the person?
Hi SATHYABALARAMAN...
Your question and approach is more on the OHSAS.
The blood flow ensures that your body temperature is kept constant around 98'F and it will be simply doing this when your people are in the lab. Your lab clothing will assist to a great deal the cardiac system by preventing heat loss from body. When they come out, its lesser load on the cardiac system and with the lab clothing taken off it eases likewise.
It will be good to have your lab employees cardiac system periodically monitored as an OHSAS measure. This should go well with most people who have Healthy Heart ...

Last edited:
G

gadez

Wouldn't it better to ask your personnel if they have any medical condition that will be affected by sudden change in temperature or staying too long in a certain environment temperature? I used to have headaches and nosebleeds when i worked in a laboratory that was at 20C, go out in the unairconditioned surroundings for a break 30-35C, then go back in the lab.

Top Bottom