Minimum Inspection Test Plan for PCBAs including Key Characteristics

J

JkelleyCDS

I am implementing inspection test plans for PCBAs. Does anyone know of any key characteristics that should be verified at a minimum? I'm looking in the realm of solder inspection, electrical continuity, component identification and schematic. This is not my expertise, so any examples would also be great. :thanx:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Minimum Inspection for PCBAs

I am implementing inspection test plans for PCBAs. Does anyone know of any key characteristics that should be verified at a minimum? I'm looking in the realm of solder inspection, electrical continuity, component identification and schematic. This is not my expertise, so any examples would also be great. :thanx:

Could this help?

Stijloor.

J

JkelleyCDS

Re: Minimum Inspection for PCBAs

Thanks for the help. It does cover some of my concer with solder inspection. I guess I am doubting my own common sense in a way. A board's realy test is its functionality once connected. I just didn't know if there was a quick easy way to verify the electrical elements of the board. Solder/ visual inspection may be the only way. I know of automated inspection equipment, but that is a resource I do not have a benefit of. I figure I will keep it very basic. Thansk again!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

IPC is a great source for all kinds of information about PCB quality and inspection.

AndyN

Moved On
In my experience there's two levels of checking:

Bare board checking for plating issues such as open and shorts in the trackwork. These can be hidden by subsequent assembly ops. Depending on who does the layout and CAD/artwork a thorough pre-production engineering by the board manufacturer is essential, to review for registration and related mis-aligned hole/pads/resist clearances etc. Pad track clearances are often a source of problems too.

After assembly automated test at some level or another is important, either to check for point to point functionality or for full component presence/value etc.

:2cents:

H

harinandu2003

I know my answer is reaching u a bit late, but would b great if u find it useful still.

for soldering inspection , there are so many broad category and criteria which is clearly defined in the IPC A 610 standrd with pictures. Usually the first run , I have seen is they assemble the components onto the PCB with double sided sticky tape , the component values of the passive compoents will be checked along with their orientation, it should match the pick and place file, the discrete components and the ICs only orientation can be checked. if the placement is as per the layout, then u may proceed to do the assembly. After assembly , if the designer has assigned test points, u can check the designated voltages at these test points, atleast u can check if there is isolation between the power and groundpads using a multimeter or a voltmeter.
Futher tests depend entirely on the product.

Regards,
Harish

Top Bottom