Are there any members of the Chartered Quality Institute - UK on the Cove

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Out of interest, are there any members of the CQI on the cove?

Interested to know as considering joining (and investigating their qualifications too).

Heard some negative comments on the American version the ASQ and wondered if there's any differences between the UK and USA quality bodies. Any UK based members of the ASQ too?

Any other UK based quality bodies worth looking at joining? Thinking of trying to become a professional quality guy instead of just bluffing it.:)

AndyN

Moved On
Re: The Chartered Quality Institute - UK

When in the UK, I was a member of the CQI (they were the IQA in those days). I was a member of the ASQ at the time too. The meetings were somewhat similar (we're all people, right?) but I found the magazine for example, much better. Also, the qualification courses were more appropriate to the current quality pros needs. I've always found the ASQ qualifications to be very "geeky" (just my opinion that is) and I used to teach the (old) "A3" Quality Management Course and it's as relevant today as it was back then.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any other UK based quality membership organizations of the same caliber or status.

TPMB4

So the CQI does have a decent standing in the business?

I guess to get the benefit of them the branch and/or special interest groups are a must. Just a shame and a surprise there is no automotive special interest group. There still is an automotive industry in the UK so there are plenty of quality people who work in that sector. Also I live in a county where I am equi-distant from 3 local groups and none of them hold meetings close enough to get to easily. Still worth the effort to network and benefit from experience of the more experienced.

Thanks for replying AndyN. Have you ever thought of re-joining? The institute I was in as a young undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate had a lot of overseas based members and some groups too. Some of those members were ex-pats but there was a keen interest from people from other countries too.

AndyN

Moved On
I am considering rejoining, yes. The CQI is, I believe, held in some kind of standing (as much as "quality" is, anywhere ;) )

TPMB4

Quite! In the UK at least even the most venerable engineering and chartered institutes, such as the relatively ancient Inst. of Civil Engineers (dating from something like 1819), really only have standings in their own community of professionals (I treat MICE, MIMechE, MIChemE, etc as all in the engineering community). The general public don't know what MICE or CEng means and know less about the level the holder of those has reached professionally. I reckon outside of Quality circles noone has much if any regard for MCQI after someone's name. Put a Dr in front and things might be different, even if it is just due to a PhD after their name!!!

Sorry, my pet rant is about lack of respect for professional engineers in the UK. I understand Germany has the title Ing. before the name with similar esteem as a Doctor!! Reserved titles... does that make me come across as elitist or snobby????

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
So the CQI does have a decent standing in the business?

I guess to get the benefit of them the branch and/or special interest groups are a must. Just a shame and a surprise there is no automotive special interest group. There still is an automotive industry in the UK so there are plenty of quality people who work in that sector. Also I live in a county where I am equi-distant from 3 local groups and none of them hold meetings close enough to get to easily. Still worth the effort to network and benefit from experience of the more experienced.

Thanks for replying AndyN. Have you ever thought of re-joining? The institute I was in as a young undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate had a lot of overseas based members and some groups too. Some of those members were ex-pats but there was a keen interest from people from other countries too.

TPMB4,

I am a member of both the CQI and the ASQ. Now the CQI has its Royal Charter it makes its members Chartered Quality Professionals (as with Chartered Surveyors and Chartered Engineers).

It remains up to us to ensure CQPs are valued by industry.

Being a CQP may have a broader appeal with British employers (and it may sound good for some US employers) but being an ASQ Certified Quality Manager as well may be even better. I believe that our ASQ could do with a Professional Engineer equivalent.

I prefer CQI's Quality World to ASQ's Quality Progress but study both of them every month. When I first joined ASQ I preferred QP but QW is better now. Given another 20 years my preference may switch again.

Special Interest Groups seem better organized by ASQ than CQI but again this is a measure of enthusiasm from members.

I see little duplication between the two; unlike being both a RABQSA and IRCA certified lead auditor. I retired my RABQSA certification in response to their recent name-change. CQI still benefits financially from its ownership of an auditor certification service (IRCA).

John
FCQI and MASQ

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
I wrote 4 of the modules in the CQI Body of Quality Knowledge, so I suppose I need to say good things about them...!

I recall that I joined first because of the magazine (Quality World), but I am not sure that it has quite maintained the standard of a few years ago. I do know that some UK folk have joined ASQ for the same reason (ie for its magazine).

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Challenging the quality profession.

What is our journey so far? More important, what is our vision as quality professionals?

How do we become a compelling strategic business management function that helps organisations to sustain and thrive?

Some of these questions are discussed in this publication from our Chartered Quality Institute:

Attachments

• The New Quality Profession Challenge.pdf
    992.1 KB · Views: 206
L

lk2012

hi all,
thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm thinking of joining the CQI and getting one of the 'Quality Degrees' with them.
Do you think - from your own experience - they make your position on the job market better?

thanks
Lil :)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Lil,

I recommend joining CQI and volunteering to help make it more successful for you and your fellow quality professionals.

Before enrolling in a course to study for an MSc in Quality Management like this one, I would make sure that its curriculum was realigned to help you to fulfill the CQI's 21st century vision.

And, I've just learned, as a member you can participate in this free webinar.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom