IEC EN 60601 3rd edition CF vs. CFD

J

jmalm

Can anyone shed some insight into the difference in requirements between an applied part designated as type CF/BF and type CFD/BFD (i.e. DEFIBRILLATION PROOF) when it comes to dielectric strength and creepage and clearance requirements?

From what I can gather, a creepage or clearance that forms either a single means of protection or multiple means of protection must be at least 4mm.

Additionally, it seems the dielectric strength tests are the same for type CF/BF and CFD/BFD applied parts.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
From what I can gather, a creepage or clearance that forms either a single means of protection or multiple means of protection must be at least 4mm.

That´s right. The rationale is that the typical defibrillator (note that this typical defibrillator must comply with IEC 60601-2-4) deals a short-time pulse so 4 mm distances are adequate.

Additionally, it seems the dielectric strength tests are the same for type CF/BF and CFD/BFD applied parts.

Please note that the working voltage determination does not take into account the defibrillation voltages, so yes, the tests would be the same.

Also, the test of 8.5.5 is a kind of dielectric strenght test for determing separation, and is considered enough to these types of applied part.

Top Bottom