Potential Benefits - ISO 14001 for Waste Water Treatment Facilities and Water Utility

T

tigerfan51

Have any Cove members ran into / audited ISO 14001 registered municipal waste water treatment facilities, water supply utilities and /or municipal solid waste disposal facilities (landfills)? If yes, what were the advantages / benefits of having an EMS / being ISO 14001 registered for these types of facilities? Any examples would be welcome.

I will be contacting several municipalities to determine their interest / plans for ISO 14001 registrations for their various facilities. I anticipate that many may not have addressed the issue and I am trying to anticipate their question - why should I have an EMS / what advantages would there be?

Waste water treatment, water treatment / supply and landfill disposal are heavily regulated and monitored by State/Provincial agencies, so the increased emphasis/awareness of regulatory issues that accrues to most ISO 14001 registered facilities is not likely to be relevant. Likewise, it seems that CI may be somewhat difficult due to the processes/equipment/chemistry involved in waste water and water treatment, although improved chemical usage, sludge reduction, improved sludge disposal/etc. may be possible. For a municipal landfill operation, I have some difficulty speculating on potential CI initiatives.

I could probably speculate on some advantages of an EMS / ISO 14001 registration for these types of facilities, but I thought I would try the Cove. Thanks for your help.:thanx:

T

tarheels4 - 2007

tigerfan51 said:
Have any Cove members ran into / audited ISO 14001 registered municipal waste water treatment facilities, water supply utilities and /or municipal solid waste disposal facilities (landfills)? If yes, what were the advantages / benefits of having an EMS / being ISO 14001 registered for these types of facilities? Any examples would be welcome.
There is information at this web site that may interest you. Case studies on various municipal departments, including WW treatment, that implemented EMS.

http://www.epa.gov/owm/iso14001/impiso.htm

Here is another something
www.usmayors.org/mwma/2002meeting/iso14001.ppt

Randy

Super Moderator
Check with the city of Savannah, Georgia as a possible source of information. Give me a bit because I think there are others.

Top Bottom