Recycling pop bottles

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Hey, fellow Cove-ers. Todays test is: How much does an empty #1 20 ounce plastic pop bottle weigh? (without cap) Is anyone here involved in the beverage industry? We just started recycling #1 plastics, and thought we'd put out an employee newsletter with our first efforts information with possibly a little contest to ask employees how many bottles it probably took to make up the weight of bottles we took to the recycling center today. I can go home and weigh one (if I can find an empty) but I thought maybe someone here might know off the top of their head.

Thanks!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hey, fellow Cove-ers. Todays test is: How much does an empty #1 20 ounce plastic pop bottle weigh? (without cap) Is anyone here involved in the beverage industry? We just started recycling #1 plastics, and thought we'd put out an employee newsletter with our first efforts information with possibly a little contest to ask employees how many bottles it probably took to make up the weight of bottles we took to the recycling center today. I can go home and weigh one (if I can find an empty) but I thought maybe someone here might know off the top of their head.

Thanks!

According to the Ball Corp. website, it looks like about 22 grams (about .77 ounces) so it would take about 21 of them to equal 1 pound.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Jim, thank you. I didn't realize that when I posted my thanks yesterday, it didn't work. I don't want you to think that I am ungrateful for your help. I've had some problems with this computer the last few days. I also think I need to take search lessons from you.:lol:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Jim, thank you. I didn't realize that when I posted my thanks yesterday, it didn't work. I don't want you to think that I am ungrateful for your help. I've had some problems with this computer the last few days. I also think I need to take search lessons from you.:lol:

No problem--glad to help.

T

Ted Schmitt

This is not really related to SteelMaiden´s original question, but here in Brazil people are using the 2 liter pop/soft drink bottles filled with earth or sand and using them instead of bricks...

Just another interesting idea for the 3 R´s particularly Reuse

C

Craig H.

This is not really related to SteelMaiden´s original question, but here in Brazil people are using the 2 liter pop/soft drink bottles filled with earth or sand and using them instead of bricks...

Just another interesting idea for the 3 R´s particularly Reuse

If you put a screw eye in them after filling with concrete (before it sets) you have a fair boat anchor.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Well, the boat anchor thing is just about maxed out around here, I guess I could try to talk the company into allowing me to build something. But, I really think that 12,000 birdfeeders is probably overkill.:lmao:

Really, thanks for the ideas, we should all try to reduce, reuse, and recycle wherever possible. We did manage to keep 12,000 pop bottles out of the landfill. I'm proud of us for our first load. Hopefully we will get better.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I learned from the movie The Departed that people in Boston use two-liter bottles as handgun silencers. :mg: I think this might also happen in New Jersey, based on something I saw on The Sopranos.

Added in edit: It occurs to me that after using a bottle as a silencer, you could also take advantage of Craig's anchor idea, thus getting two uses out of the same bottle.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Well, the boat anchor thing is just about maxed out around here, I guess I could try to talk the company into allowing me to build something. But, I really think that 12,000 birdfeeders is probably overkill.:lmao:

Really, thanks for the ideas, we should all try to reduce, reuse, and recycle wherever possible. We did manage to keep 12,000 pop bottles out of the landfill. I'm proud of us for our first load. Hopefully we will get better.

If your area has a training center for disabled persons or those who are in rehab (physcial or any other), perhaps they would welcome a donation such as this as an activity for their clients to build or make something for profit. I have heard that such places (or even the YMCA) are always looking for materials to use for crafts and such. With summer coming, day care centers may be able to use them for kiddie crafts.

Just a couple of ideas to toss onto the pile....Congrats on that accomplishment, Steel! That's quite a few bottles of pop and/or water! :applause: :applause:

Top Bottom