How can I test remote control for television?

O

orcunbd

Hi guys :bigwave: , I'm quality engineer in a television company. I want to reliability tests RF remote controls. Does anyone have advice? Are there any standards for remote controls ?? :thanx:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: How can I test remote control for television ?

Test for what? And are your remotes RF or IR?

I can't personally help as that is not my field. I ask these questions because more details are needed for a reply.

O

orcunbd

Thx Marc,I have edited my message.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

If there aren't any standards (I doubt there are), there are plenty of books out there on how to set up Operational Test and Evalution. I'd probably start with a range test - how far away can you get from a "standard" TV receiver and have at least 90% of the time the signal received and properly interpreted? If you don't have enough physical distance to do that, put some sort of interference between the remote and the receiver. Then trend those results over time to see if remotes are getting better or worse on that capability.

Primarily need to sit down and say - what does the customer expect from a remote (along the lines of "it works") and does your remote do that reliably?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

To add to Steve's reply - What do you have on your spec sheet for the device (and how were the specifications for the remote developed?)?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks, Marc. And there probably should be criteria like - does the remote interfere with cell phones and other radio devices and vice versa. Since it is a RF remote, then there are FCC requirements for interference.

O

orcunbd

thx all replies, what are FCC requirements for remote controls? Could you give me link that is explaining the requirements?

O

orcunbd

I decided to do these tests;

Battery life test
Range test
Key-press life test
EMI test

Could you add to another test ?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good start to me. Meanwhile, do you have any customer complaint information? That may point the way to other tests that might be desirable.

Top Bottom