Duties of a Supplier Quality Engineer? Graduate Industrial Engineer Needs Help

T

thisissteve

Hello, I am a graduate student in Industrial Engineering and have recently started my job search. I have a degree in electrical engineering and 3 yrs of experience in design, reliability, and project management (Electronics). Even though I have not worked much in quality field, I have a good understanding about it through course work. So, I have couple of interviews on my schedule. Can someone educate me about duties of a supplier quality engineer? Most of the prospective employers need someone with lot of experience and I as mentioned before I am a novice in this field. I hope you veterans in Quality can give me some advice.
:thanx:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
First, welcome to the Cove! bigwave-d2.gif
Second, let me congratulate you on getting interviews! That's often the biggest hurdle - just getting in front of someone to make the case for getting hired.

As to Supplier Quality Engineer (or Assurance), a large part of the task is dependent on the industry and the specific product types you'll deal with. There are basic activities common to all SQEs and SQAs
I lifted these from a job ad and eliminated the industry-specific stuff:
Responsible for developing and strengthening Supplier Management Programs.

• Continually work with suppliers to improve performance, implement process control and quality plans
  • Interact routinely with Purchasing, Engineering and Suppliers to pro actively improve quality of components.
  • Analyze supplier capabilities. Develop and maintain supplier quality metrics.
  • Perform supplier Quality Systems audits and provide support for supplier Quality Systems improvements.
  • Work with project work teams to define project deliverables, project planning, etc.
  • Develop new work processes, new tools and functional capabilities. Maintain and improve existing quality systems processes.
  • May be required to provide some technical training to other employees.
  • A key responsibility of this position is to ensure that the incumbent's area of responsibility is in compliance with the ISO and [regulatory] standards.

Education - Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Technical or related field.

Your task (to help us help you) is to tell us what you understand and are capable of doing from this generic list, plus an indication of the particular industries you are looking at to help our Covers give you focused advice.

We are just going into a weekend, traditionally very slow here in the Cove. Be patient - many more responses from the Cove with be forthcoming Monday after you have given us a response about the list above..

T

thisissteve

Thanks Marc!

Since my education and experiences are in the field of electronics prospective employers are manufacturers and end-users of electronic equipments or systems.

What are the typical procedures for evaluating a supplier, product, and process?

Will I be required to perform supplier audits? If so, how is it done in the case of a electronics sub-system supplier? Can someone share their experience in auditing suppliers?

What are the important parameters of consideration while developing a supplier quality matrix?

Top Bottom