Methods for determining Supplier Capacity in various industries

S

SQE2010

Hello everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. It's treasure of information. I am looking for methods, metrics, or procedures various industries use in determining a supplier's capacity when choosing a supplier. I was looking more toward OEM or tier 1 companies in the industrial electronics, consumer electronics, medical device, and heavy industrial sectors. Anyone have this information on hand? Does anyone know where I can find this information?

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hello everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. It's treasure of information. I am looking for methods, metrics, or procedures various industries use in determining a supplier's capacity when choosing a supplier. I was looking more toward OEM or tier 1 companies in the industrial electronics, consumer electronics, medical device, and heavy industrial sectors. Anyone have this information on hand? Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Hello SQE2010, :bigwave:Welcome to the Cove:bigwave:

Find attached 'Supplier assessment Tool kit'. I am also attaching a very good proceedure on 'Supplier Quality Requirement'.

Hope this helps

Umang :D

Attachments

• supplier assessment.pdf
    84 KB · Views: 2,387
  • Suppliers quality requirements.pdf
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,365

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello everyone,

If you are your potential supplier get transparent on the OEE document that the supplier might have, and discuss the details, then two things get clear.
1. You will know that this supplier has a method to assess his capacity and that his available capacity is based on some rationale.
2. Depending upon your requirement you can assess how much portion of your load you can place on this supplier.

S

SQE2010

What about the OEE metrics that companies use when determining a supplier to source business to. Where would I find the the OEE metrics that Panasonic, Hewlett-Packard, John Deere, Boston Scientific, etc. use. What are their OEE metrics when they assess a supplier's capacity?

U

Umang Vidyarthi

What about the OEE metrics that companies use when determining a supplier to source business to. Where would I find the the OEE metrics that Panasonic, Hewlett-Packard, John Deere, Boston Scientific, etc. use. What are their OEE metrics when they assess a supplier's capacity?

Nothing speaks better than money (returns). Without the returns on investments (ROI) all the metrics and paperwork have only cosmetic effect, period.

Here is an article on 'OEE Metrics Reveal Return on Investment' by Rob Spiegel. Also find attached a white paper on the subject.

Hope this provide more clarity.

Umang :D

Attachments

• whitepaper-oeeimplementationandbenefits.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 519

somashekar

Leader
Admin
You really have to go out and ask them and try understanding their approach towards supplier capacity assessment. But then, why look for that ... ?
You device your own system to make assessment and it almost always has to be custom made based on information gathered from your potential suppliers. The more you know what to ask, the better it starts working well for you. Derive as much from your potential supplier's information system to make your analysis.

S

SQE2010

You really have to go out and ask them and try understanding their approach towards supplier capacity assessment. But then, why look for that ... ?
You device your own system to make assessment and it almost always has to be custom made based on information gathered from your potential suppliers. The more you know what to ask, the better it starts working well for you. Derive as much from your potential supplier's information system to make your analysis.

I agree. But my VP has requested that we find out what other companies are doing as far as assessing supplier capacity. Would these companies be open in sharing their methods for determining supplier capacity?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Tough one. I think most fib a bit!! Look at missed deliveries when you perform an SAA, look closely at how capacity is figured (Key area to understand). Yuo would be surprised at how many way companies look at and figure this.

Hello everyone,

Hello SQE2010,
I would like to have a discussion with you regarding the Supplier capacity check benchmark.I am working on something Similar for my Thesis.
Thanks in Advance

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello SQE2010,
I would like to have a discussion with you regarding the Supplier capacity check benchmark.I am working on something Similar for my Thesis.
Thanks in Advance
Welcome to the Cove. You've replied to a post from ten years ago, so the chances of a response are not very good, I'm afraid. Feel free to ask questions.

Top Bottom