The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > FMEA and Control Plans
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 26th May 2005, 10:36 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Dec 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 9
Karma Power: 72
TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.
I Say... Ballpoint Pen DFMEA (Design FMEA)

gRrrrrr. One of my assignments in my new job is to create a good DFMEA for a typical ball point pen... the thought being that it will be a good mental exercise so that as I get future applications, I have exercized my mind, and can use the same thought processes to create future DFMEA's.

Grrrr.. I have a headache. do any of you have a good ballpoint pen DFMEA I can study as an example to help me get all this straight in my mind?

(I've discovered I'm really good at PFMEAs.. and having a hard time transferring all that knowledge to DFMEAs.. )

Thanks in advance. The cove is the BEST of the best.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls Chris-Fox - DFMEA - Excersize.xls (38.5 KB, 1472 views)

Stealth quality versus no quality :thedeal:

Sponsored Links
Old 26th May 2005, 05:21 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,857
Thanked 5,013 Times in 3,182 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I looked over what you posted and it looks OK to me - It addresses design issues as it should. Sorry I don't have an existing pen design FMEA, but I will say this is interesting.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Sponsored Links

Old 27th May 2005, 10:06 AM
Involved - Posts

TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.TownDawg is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.
Revised version..

I've made several revisions.. hopefully even improvements..
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls Chris-Fox - DFMEA - Excersize.xls (1.81 MB, 1080 views)

Old 27th May 2005, 10:54 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,987
Thanked 5,847 Times in 3,734 Posts
Karma Power: 1510
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by TownDawg

I've made several revisions.. hopefully even improvements..
I think what you've got is OK, but I'm not sure about your approach (using an existing design). The other thing I noticed is that there's no consideration given to appearance. A lot of pens are sold based on cosmetics alone, so you would have to make sure that cosmetic concerns are in concert with mechanical considerations.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 27th May 2005, 12:56 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jun 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
AllanJ is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.AllanJ is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.AllanJ is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.AllanJ is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.AllanJ is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.
Unless I am not getting the whole xls in the download or I am misreading what has been done, I do not think you have considered some key aspects of the design. The ball and its function and characteristics including its hardness, smoothness, material properties (compatibility with the ink), dimensional requirements and interface with its housing; the fit of the ball into its housing when it is not in use and when it is in use; the "spring" and its load/compression characteristics, its material and compatibility with the ink; the fit of the ball housing into the sleeve.

Since it is a ball point pen, I did try to search the download I got for details about the ball but did not seem to find any.

Supplemental note: Subsequently downloaded later edited xls which does address some of my points. Except, I am not sure whether the pen would use a stylus or a ball. I do not profess to be intimately familiar with modern ball point design but hope all this is of some help.

Last edited by AllanJ; 27th May 2005 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added supplemental note
Old 1st June 2005, 08:21 AM
Involved - Posts

Thanks for all your comments. Good information! As for stylus versus ball.. you are right -- even ballpoint have differences, and even though my original DFMEA was trying to address a "ballpoint" my revised version was actually one of those new designs.

Have to run. Work calls. Thanks again!

Old 1st June 2005, 08:58 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Dec 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 54
YKT has less than 100 Karma points so far.
why don't just use the boundary diagram to 'look' at the component of your pen..
Old 16th January 2006, 04:33 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 37
chalapathi has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by TownDawg

gRrrrrr. One of my assignments in my new job is to create a good DFMEA for a typical ball point pen... the thought being that it will be a good mental exercise so that as I get future applications, I have exercized my mind, and can use the same thought processes to create future DFMEA's.

Grrrr.. I have a headache. do any of you have a good ballpoint pen DFMEA I can study as an example to help me get all this straight in my mind?

(I've discovered I'm really good at PFMEAs.. and having a hard time transferring all that knowledge to DFMEAs.. )

Thanks in advance. The cove is the BEST of the best.
It is good attempt. Consider the following points:

In the DFMEA, you need to assume that a customer is actualy using this product what can go wrong. Even missuse of the product is also can be considered as a failure. Some one puts pen in mouth (the plastic may be toxic material).
In your case, you are coming from functions, which is very good. You can also consider some un-intended functions (ink leak is one example of un-intended function).
File Type: xls Chris-Fox - DFMEA - Excersize.xls (1.80 MB, 718 views)

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > FMEA and Control Plans

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?