AS9102 Form 2 and Standard Hardware clarification

C

CDZ Ryan

Hi everyone! I have been lurking and reading here for a bit, but have run into an issue that I am stumped by, and was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Regarding AS9102 Form 2 and Standard hardware. We have a free-stock system for a lot of our commonly used standard hardware (NAS, BACS, BACM etc) at our site. There are multiple recieved lots intermixed in bins that are accessible to anyone needing them. The question is, when filling out form 2 for an FAI, how much tractability do we need? Are the individual cert numbers required for each piece of standard hardware on each of these parts? From a strictly literal standpoint the description for field 10 on form 2 says we need a "Number of the certificate (e.g., special process completion certification, raw material test report number Standard Catalog hardware compliance report number, traceability number)." However from a logical standpoint this seems excessive and un-needed.

We have never had our AS9100 Registrar or the FAA have any issues with us doing it this way, however an inspection manager is raising a bit of a fuss, so I'm just trying to get an outside viewpoint. Thanks.

J

JHagani

CDZ,

I only see one problem with your system:

Regarding AS9102 Form 2 and Standard hardware. We have a free-stock system for a lot of our commonly used standard hardware (NAS, BACS, BACM etc) at our site. There are multiple recieved lots intermixed in bins that are accessible to anyone needing them. .

How do you keep traceability for these lots?
What happens if and when you find one piece of nonconforming hardware? How do you trace it to the lot you received? How do you trace it to all the assemblies this lot went into?

We also receive a lot of hardware, but every lot coming in gets an assigned lot number, and every assembly the hardware goes to gets identified with that lot number.

This way, when something goes wrong, I can assure we can identify and segregate all other assemblies we made with that nonconforming lot.

my :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frank T.

The question is, when filling out form 2 for an FAI, how much tractability do we need? Are the individual cert numbers required for each piece of standard hardware on each of these parts?

IMO, you need full traceability. From the raw material, through any special processes performed, up until its a finished product. If it's an assembly part, all material and special processes have to be listed from each component.

There are multiple recieved lots intermixed in bins that are accessible to anyone needing them.

I have a question pertaining to the above statement, are these mutiple lots received of the same part that are intermixed?

As Jim stated, how do you keep traceability of these lots?

A

andygr

To the original question
"when filling out form 2 for an FAI, how much tractability do we need? Are the individual cert numbers required for each piece of standard hardware on each of these parts?"
For the FAI process you will need a direct trace to the C of C for the component used. This is for the FAI part only. Keep in mind that the FAI to 9102 is a good tool to verify that you can actual make a part to all the design data at the get go. This is the best time to addess issues. I could see if you had a mixed bin of the same catalog part numbers from mutiple llots you could identify all the applicable C of C's involved and comply with AS 9102 and enter all these C of C as the trace but that is not realy the intent.

For the discussion on trace you are allowed to have Kanban bins, it is a risk based judgement based on the component and application(unless contractualy required). BUT you do have to be able to know what lots are involved into the mix that is being consumed.
With this I would sugest that you look at putting a finit limit on how long the mix could go on. Such as you put a bin of 3 mixed lots to the floor but at some point this original mix gets consumed and you go to a new mixed lot. This way there is a time lime limitation to the risk you are exposed to. In the case that there is a problem identifed you have a clear time limit to manage. If you just keep on adding to the bin with no FIFO control you have unlimited exposur if a recall or investigation occures.
:2cents:

Top Bottom